54• Making Something Structured Out Of Nothing

"Kwon at the door?" Joey guessed.

I sat on his lap. "You already know."

"What he want?"

"He asked me if he can borrow some sugar. I slammed the door." I shrugged.

He sighed and snickered. "Mean ass."

"Joey think about it. He drove fifteen minutes just to ask for some sugar. Why? And he didn't even call." I shook my head.

"You got a point." He said. "You tired babygirl?"

I shook my head and watched what was on the tv.

"I'm tired?" He yawned.

"From what?"

"I don't even know. Didn't do much today. I just wanna rest."

"I understand." I got off his lap. "Alright."

"Talk to you later Joey." I kissed his cheek and he went to his room.

Right when Joey closed his door I received a text.

???: Hey.
Me: Who is this?
???: Akeem.
Me: Oh hey...what's up?
Akeem: Can you come over?
Me: Why?
Akeem: I just need to talk to you.
Me: About...!?
Akeem: Nevaeh please just come over. I'll send you my address.
Me: Fine. Send me the address and I'm omw.

It took him the longest just to send me his address. I took the subway to the city and met him in the apartment lobby. We got in the elevator and waited to get to his floor. We didn't say anything to each other, it's like we're reading each other.
   Once we got to his apartment I took a good look at him and he looked anxious. I sat down at his dining table and waited for him to say something or do something.

"Hey." He started.

I waved awkwardly.

"So um I called you here for a reason."

"Well what is that reason? I got all day."

"You know I care about you right?" He asked.

"Mhm."

"I just wanted to let you know that, with whatever's going on between you, Joey and Kwon I'll be there for you and I know how risky it is-"

"Stop beating around the bush Akeem."

"Ok." He cleared his throat. "I love you Nevaeh. I know we don't talk much and all but I think you're beautiful, not just in the face but your mind. I fell in love with you energy, your charisma, your intelligence. I fell in love with you."

"You're...in love with me?" I questioned.

He nodded his head.

"You're not high or drunk or both right?"

"I'm sober Nevaeh."

"Akeem you can't...you can't love me." I shrugged.

"Why?!"

"Joey!! My boyfriend Joey! That's why Akeem. Stop being disrespectful and saying you love me. You don't even know me."

He scowled and gritted his teeth. "Fine. That's cool. Don't tell me that kiss didn't mean anything or made you feel some type of way."

"Oh wowwwww! Don't do that Keem. It was only a one time thing. Just accept the fact that we'll never be more than co-workers."

"Promise I'll hit it right. Better than Joey." He stood up. "I'll show you how much I love you."

"Fuck no. I'm leaving." I sprinted to the door. Before I could step out he grabbed me by my waist and pulled me back inside.

"I'm not letting you leave until you give me a reason."

"A REASON FOR WHAT?! JOEY IS THE REASON AND YOU KNOW THIS! YOU KNOW HE'S GONNA BEAT YO ASS IF HE FINDS O-"

He pushed me to the wall and put his hand up my shirt tugging my bra.

"Joey doesn't have to know."

"He's going to know." I hit the jets and slid into the elevator smashing the first floor button.

My hands were shaking and I called a uber.