The Past And Future

Hermione's POV

White walls. 

Spotless ceiling. 

Wait. 

She knew this place. 

Of course.

The Hospital Wing of Hogwarts. 

Hermione relaxed. The ferret probably just made them pass out. A few minor injuries or so, but they could leave. 

 Until Madam Pomfrey rushed through the wings to check on another patient.

Curly black hair with a worried, youthful face. 

Youthful?

"Madam Pomfrey, did you dye your hair?" Hermione asked before she could stop herself. 

"Oh! You've woken up! Why would you think that? How do you know my name, dear?" Madam Pomfrey replied, looking affronted, spewing out questions as fast as Hermione could understand. 

Hermione began to shake, trying to find a logical solution to this. But, of course, with magic, nothing is logical.

"It's, uh, on your name tag," Hermione blurted out, lying quickly. 

Madam Pomfrey looked mystified. "What name tag?"

Thankfully, Professor Dumbledore strolled in, looking calm, still with long silver hair but a less stressed face and fewer wrinkles. His presence immediately calmed her.

But he wasn't her Dumbledore. 

What was going on?

"Our newest patient has woken up!" Dumbledore's eyes twinkled. "Lemon Drop?" he offered, holding his favorite sweet out to her. "I find it soothes the mind and body."

Of course, that's just Dumbledore. When your whole life is falling apart in front of your eyes and you're powerless to stop it, he offers you a lemon drop.

Thanks! 

The image of the broken Time-Turner flashed in front of her, and she realized what had happened.

Let me be wrong, for once, please. 

"Professor," Hermione began seriously. 

How should she state the question?

Has an idiot named Draco Malfoy been born yet?

Did a baby defeat the a powerful, ruthless wizard?

Am I born? 

"What year is it?" Hermione asked a much more sensible question. 

Professor Dumbledore glanced at her, his eyes furrowing. 

"1978," Dumbledore cautiously told her. 

The room began to sway back and forth, but Hermione forced herself back to reality. 

Stop hyperventilating! 

I am in the past. 

In 1978. 

Hermione grabbed the pole of her bed to keep her steady. 

"Let me - let me just talk to someone?" Hermione gasped, staggering over to the only other occupied bed. 

The ferret's eyes were closed, but Hermione roughly shook him, not caring whether or not he would be hurt. 

This went against all laws. Even in third year, she never changed anything except - well, she hadnever gone this far back.