Half-truths

Hermione's POV

Hermione woke up, her head hurting from the Yule Ball. She groaned as she remembered the conversation after the ball. 

How embarrassing. She had asked the Draco Malfoy to be.. friends. Granted, it was only for one time period, but still. 

"Lily," Hermione groaned. "Do you have any headache spells?"

Lily waved her wand once without looking at her, and Hermione's headache disappeared.

"So, what happened with James?" Hermione asked, struggling to get out of bed. She flopped back with a sigh. Classes were canceled today for a break after the ball, thank Merlin. 

Lily stopped combing her hair and looked at her with an odd expression. 

"Hermione. Something weird came up," Lily frowned, ignoring Hermione's question.

"Huh?" Hermione said, trying to focus on Lily. The world was slightly spinning, so it seemed like there were four Lilys, each one of them glaring at her. 

Glaring?

Hermione frantically thought back to the ball. Did she do something wrong? She shook her head. How utterly selfish was it to be thinking of a ball and appearances when her friends were in a completely different time period?

"Draco said... he said that you guys knew it was love at first sight when he was talking to me. And James said that you guys hated each other?" Lily looked suspiciously at Hermione. 

"Ah, well, Draco must've messed up. He isn't too great with remembering dates and stuff like that. I mean, he even forgot our anniversary one time! Like, ugh! Can you imagine? He's pretty annoying that way, but, uhm, I still... love... him," Hermione explained, trying to sound nonchalant. Her heart thrummed beneath her blankets and pajamas. 

Love Draco Malfoy. I never thought I would ever say that.

"I guess," Lily said, unconvinced. 

"Oh my Merlin. Another time, he actually forgot about our date, and went to play Quidditch instead! Boys, what can I say?" Hermione added, knowing Lily wasn't fooled. 

She picked up a book, trembling. What if she started to suspect them? What if she figured it all out?

What if Voldemort found out? 

Hermione choked back a sob. She wanted to go back to the very beginning of her first year, where all was peaceful. No Voldemort. 

No war. 

Nothing but - well, what did she have that year? No friends until the troll; which was Quirrel - who was Voldemort. 

So, in some sick way, Hermione had Voldemort to thank for her best friends. 

She was drawn back into the present when Lily set down her brush on the table loudly. Lily sat down on her own bed, her eyes hard. "So why does Draco look like Lucius Malfoy, Hermione? Can you lie your way out of this one?"

Hermione dropped her book. She swallowed very hard. 

How could she lie her way out of this?

"Who?" Hermione decided to play dumb. 

"Your boyfriend's look-alike!" Lily wailed. "Stop lying to me, please!"

"Lily, we're not," Hermione took the calmer approach. "How about we just talk about what happened last night, and you stop believing these silly rumours - "

"I don't know what to believe anymore!" Lily screeched, cutting Hermione off. "I thought you were my friend, Hermione!" she cried out.

"I think you're overreacting. It must be just a normal resemblance, I'm sure a lot of people look like that! And of course you're my friend!" Hermione defended, shocked Lily would think  that their friendship was fake.