Denouement

He wasn't able to process anything in the first few moments. He dimly heard Hermione cry out, and saw Audrey falling. 

Draco thought he was watching as Hermione gently set Audrey down on a blanket she had conjured, covering Audrey's face with  it.

How could anybody be so selfless to sacrifice themselves for a person they met only about a few minutes ago? And more importantly, how could he have just let that happen?

Why did he let that happen?

Maybe Bellatrix was right, maybe he still was a Death Eater, may - 

"No, Draco, she's not right. You've changed so much in these past weeks," Hermione grabbed him and kissed him, wondering if this would be their last kiss. 

He stood up with a new resolve. He may have failed Audrey, but he still had other people he needed to help. He wouldn't let Hermione die.

"Hermione," Draco said, surprised to find his voice strong. "We need to defeat Voldemort."

Hermione glanced up at him, her expression worried. "Draco, are you sure - " 

"We should go to the Forbidden Forest," Draco cut her off. "I think that's the most logical place Voldemort would be."

The two ran down to the courtyard, almost dying many times on the way down, and sending quite a few curses behind them.

Outside, the fighting was no less messy. People screamed, shouted, and wailed from losing their loved ones. 

It was impossible to distinguish the good from the bad, and the dead from the living. It was complete madness.

The only place that seemed untouched was the Forbidden Forest. It loomed gloomily as ever, with nothing on it to show that they were going through a war. 

The castle was half broken, with fires pouring through the window, and bricks falling, crushing people who were already injured. The Whomping Willow bashed anyone who was stupid enough to come near, though even its strength seemed to be fading with the numerous curses sent at it. 

A Death Eater sent Killing Curses at the tree, dancing around, while three students cowered behind it. 

"Crucio!" the Death Eater cried, laughing. An older student, who had stumbled out to protect the smaller ones fell to the ground, screaming. 

"Stupefy!" Hermione wasted no time watching the Death Eater fall. 

Some people really were crazy. Voldemort's cause not only had attracted people with blood prejudice, but also bloodthirsty crazies. 

Where was Voldemort? He should be out there, fighting. But of course not, he was letting his followers die, while he sat back, the coward. 

Of course, Draco didn't really care if his followers died - for all he cared, they could go rot in Azkaban - but still. If anyone deserved to die, it was Voldemort. 

Hermione put her hand to her lips, warning him to be quiet. They crouched behind a bush, making no sound. The two could see a small clearing, where Voldemort sat, petting his "pet" snake. 

Hermione glanced at Draco, and all at once, Draco felt overwhelmed. Despite the blood on her face, and her bruised eye, when the moonlight fell, Hermione was the most beautiful girl he had ever seen. 

They had known each other for a long time, but hated each other for most of it, and only realized that they didn't exactly want to kill each other in the past few weeks. 

But they'd ben though so much together, yes even when she slapped him, it was something to remember. 

Of course they could love each other.