Propositions

Hermione's POV

Hermione woke the next morning to delighted squealing. 

She rubbed her eyes and was met with a horrific sight. 

Lily Evans, the respected Head Girl, caring mother of an amazing boy, dancing around, holding a bunch of different dresses. 

"Hermione!" She screamed. "Something big has come up!"

Hermione had to try and hide a smile; Lily was so open and made friends so quickly. 

"I can see that," she noted. 

"The Yule Ball!" Lily grinned, trying to pull her out of bed. 

Hermione resisted the urge to groan and go back to sleep, especially since the other girl was so excited. 

"I thought that was only for the tournament?" She asked, remembering her fourth year, with all the crazy complications and Ron being a sod, and Harry forced to fight for his life.

She hoped they didn't have to go through that again. 

Lily eyed her curiously. "How'd you know?"

"Read about it," Hermione quickly shrugged. "Cavetis is, like, all about those cool things." She made an awkward finger gun at her. "Cool stuff." 

"It's American, right?" Lily asked, rifling through her suitcase. "How come you don't have an accent?"

Hermione's eyes widened. She thought she had dodged that bullet already.  "Well... I've always had a British accent. Um, some kind of magical/my real parents thing. And I was adopted when i was seven, so... "

Lily thoughtfully looked up. "I'll have to search that up. Hereditary accents because of magic bloodlines? Nice."

Hermione internally panicked. She had no idea if anything she had said was true.

"Um, so what about this ball?" Hermione attempted to drag Lily away from the topic of accents. 

Judging by her lit up eyes, Hermione knew that was a good way to distract her.

"What do you mean, what about it?" Lily screeched, dragging her up and dancing around. 

"We need dresses, we need dates! We need makeup, we need shoes, we need dates!" Lily squealed, digging through her suitcase.  

"I dunno if I'm really going Lily..." Hermione started, but then took it back as soon as she saw Lily's thunderstruck face. "I mean! I'm going... maybe," Hermione trailed off.

Lily still looked shocked. "How can you even consider not going?"

"So tell me, why is the Yule Ball still a thing, even without the tournament?" Hermione asked, genuinely curious. 

"Yule is another term for Christmas," Lily explained. "So it's just another term for a Christmas ball."

Hermione nodded. "So... who're you going to take? James?"

Lily scoffed, turning away and Hermione cursed. She just really wanted her best friend to be born, but at this rate it seemed impossible. 

"I cannot believe they gave the notice so late!" Lily ranted on and on about how the teachers only put out the list on Saturday, when the ball was on Monday.

Hermione rolled her eyes and stretched out, determined to get some more sleep. t

The Boys Dormitory

Draco's POV 

"When did B - Sirius, L - Remus, and ra - Peter come in?" Draco asked, looking annoyed.