Trust

The first playdate was horrendous. Well, not for Harry and Draco - for Lily and Narcissa. 

Narcissa decided to wait the entire playdate until she could pick her son up. That resulted in Lily and Narcissa sitting together stiffly, neither one touching the tea Lily had set out for them.

"Mother!" Draco called, the same time as Harry squealed, "Mama!"

"Can we play in the playground down the street?," Harry asked, looking hopeful. "Draco's never been in one, and I want to show him everything!"

Draco nodded, looking anxiously at his mother.

"Of course you may, if that's alright with Dra - ," Lily couldn't finish the name. "If it's alright with Narcissa"

"You may, Draco," Narcissa told him, looking slightly annoyed. Lily figured it must be because it was Muggle.

James and Lily had settled in a Muggle neighborhood, for then it was harder for paparazzi and crazy journalists to come bomb them with questions. They couldn't draw attention to themselves, so only a few people came at one time now.

When they had Harry, they closed themselves even more to the paparazzi so that Harry could have a peaceful life. They agreed it was safer for Harry to learn about their part in the War in school, in a better, less judgmental environment. So for now, Harry ran around wildly, unaware of the reason of his parent's nightmares, and blissfully ignorant of the evil that had once haunted the world.

The group of four trooped outside, while Draco and Harry talked animatedly. 

"The slide's the place you whoosh! down," Harry explained seriously.

"Okay? What is that strange board?," Draco asked, looking adorably lost.

"That's something that you go up and down! on. It's an ocean saw," Harry told him.

"Seesaw," Lily gently reminded him.

But the two boys hadn't heard her; they were too busy running to the slide, Draco eager to whoosh! down it.

"Why can't you say my son's name?" Narcissa bluntly asked once the kids were out of hearing range.

Lily gaped at her, now aware of how closely Narcissa was paying attention to her. She shifted uncomfortably while Narcissa watched her. 

"Of course I can say his name," she defended, trying to be casual. "It's just the name." 

"Then say it," Narcissa fired back, looking expectant.

"I-um, Dr- r," Lily stammered, cursing mentally when she saw Narcissa's smug look. It was just a name. It isn't that hard, Lily tried to tell herself. She hated looking weak in front of Narcissa.

"Is it because of the two that defeated the Dark Lord?" Narcissa questioned, and, Lily noticed, calling Voldemort by what the Death Eaters had called him.

Lily abruptly stood. "I think that's enough for the playdate"

Before Narcissa could reply, the two boys came rushing towards them, with a small girl in tow.

"Who is this, Draco?" Narcissa asked, hiding a frown at the obviously Muggle girl.

"This is Mia!" Draco announced, grabbing the girl's hand and putting it up in the air.

"No, 'Mione!" Harry argued. Lily had a sense of something  familiar and sad, but she couldn't remember what it was.

"Can we play with her every day?" Draco asked.

The two mothers couldn't find the heart to say no as they looked upon the three childrewn who were best friends. Even Narcissa, who loathed all things Muggle even after the war, saw Draco and couldn't deny him another friend, especially as it might be his only other friend.