Déjà Vu

Hermione's POV

Dang, dang, diggity, dang, dang. 

What in the name of Merlin's soggy beard was that? It was obviously a version of an older Draco and her, but how was that possible - her imagination never thought up of such wild things like that. 

She had to talk with Draco. 

Draco's POV

Maybe all the stress of being sorted into Gryffindor had caused him to have hallucinations. But hallucinations couldn't extend to different people. Hermione definitely had also experienced something. 

Maybe if he broke it all down later he'd be able to make sense of it. 

Harry broke into his thoughts. "The common rooms for Gryffindor are amazing, mate. Much better than those stinky, dank dungeons the snak - the Slytherins hole up in."

As much as Harry tried to hide it, he was raised with the non-wavering belief that Gryffindor was absolutely the best. It mostly had something to do with his overly eager father, James Potter. 

Snake. 

Lion. 

Slytherin. 

Gryffindor. 

They arrived at a majestic portrait of a lady. 

"Password?" She asked in a loud voice. 

"This is the Fat Lady. You'll tell the password to her everyday, so be sure to remember it! I won't be in charge of helping stray first years!" Percy Weasley, the prefect said. 

"Uh, but isn't that your job?" A sassy girl Draco dimly recalled was named Heather C. asked. 

"Quiet!" Percy called, his chest puffing out proudly as everyone fearfully quieted.

"You're totally right, Heather," another girl, also named Heather, agreed.

"Lions," Percy told the lady in the painting clearly. 

The portrait suddenly swung open, revealing a cosy room with a roaring fire. 

"Welcome to the Gryffindor common room!" Percy announced, marching in. The first years nervously followed, not sure what to expect. 

"Boys on the left, girls on the right! Boys, you can't get into the girls dormitories, so don't try; there's a spell that's been placed on the stairs that prevents you! I am not waking you up tomorrow, so make sure you do!" Percy swiftly turned away, and walked up the stairs. 

Hermione caught Draco's hand. Later, she mouthed. Draco nodded, his hands fidgeting, looking askance. The flashback was too real to be my imagination, Draco thought, biting his lip. 

"Come on, Draco!" Harry bounded up the stairs. Hermione took a final, worried glance at them before heading up to her own dormitory with a group of giggling girls. 

The sassy girl, Heather, passed by and smiled at him. "Hey! You're Draco, right?" She was a curly blonde girl, who was dressed in her robes like the rest of them, but had a bright red scrunchie in her hair. 

Draco awkwardly nodded. "Hi, Heather." 

"I wanted to be in Slytherin, too! I mean, Gryffindors are such dorks!" She rambled on, coming closer to Draco. 

"Yeah, well. Gotta go!" Draco escaped from the smiling girl. She seemed nice enough, but he was too preoccupied with the vision he had gotten. 

He headed up the stairs, smiling fakely as Heather waved at him. 

"Man! Look at these beds!" Harry exclaimed, putting his stuff on a grand bed. 

Draco swaggered to his bed, faking an air of confidence. "Malfoy Manor's beds are much bigger than this." 

Two other boys came in. "Oi, Seamus!" One called, throwing his trunk in the general direction of the bed. It burst open and everything spilled out. 

The other boy laughed. "What a mess! In the first hour, that too!" 

Draco pulled out his wand and performed a simple spell to levitate everything back in. He remembered learning the spell with Hermione. Harry had also tried to, but gave up after a few attempts. 

Flashback

"Wingardium Leviosa!" Draco shouted, waving his long arms like a windmill.

"You're saying it wrong," Harry heard Hermione laugh. "It's Wing-gar-dium Levi-o-sa, make the 'gar' nice and long."

"You do it, then, if you're so clever," Draco snapped, though he knew Hermione would be able to do it quickly. 

"Wingardium Leviosa!" Hermione levitated the feather towards him. She giggled as she made it tickle his nose, then dropped it. "Try again, Draco."

Flashback End

"Maybe you're not so bad, mate!" One of the boys came towards him, reaching out his hand. 

"Dean Thomas, the bloke who's mess you just cleaned up. Thanks for that, by the way!" Dean grasped his hand. 

"Seamus Finnigan. I'm usually the one to clean up Dean's messes, so thanks!" Seamus waved at Draco, then looked at Harry. 

"Harry Potter! The son of the war heroes! I'd do anything to have parents like yours - do they teach you defensive spells? Do you know how to defeat Death Eaters?" 

Draco flinched at the name. Even though they had agreed not to acknowledge Draco's indirect part in the war, Lucius Malfoy was a one of those, a Death Eater. 

Harry shook his head. "But I want to learn!" 

The three started to joke around, and lay out their things. 

"  - and that crazy trolley lady just burst out into singing something like, 'Welcome to My Candy Shop!" I think she thought it was funny, because she sold candies, but I declare her as psycho!" Seamus finished his story with a huge laugh. 

Harry was doubled over, absolutely helpless. "I knew she was a nutcase, that one!" 

"Ha. Ha. Ha." Draco anxiously paced around. He had to talk to Hermione, but that would have to wait till tomorrow. 

"Hey, that was pretty funny!" Dean defended the story. 

"Yeah, sure."

"Just because you have the emotional range of a teaspoon, doesn't mean we all have," Harry quipped, causing everyone to break out into laughter again.

"Seriously, mate, you okay?" Seamus asked once the laughter had died down. "You do realize we're not going to judge you on who your parents are, right?" 

Draco smiled a little. "Of course."

Dean shook his head. "I think this one's head over heels for a girl! I saw you looking at that one today!"

"He's in love! He's in love!" Seamus started singing a song in a horrible voice. 

"Little Mermaid? Really?" Draco sighed dramatically, his mind still on Hermione and the vision. 

"In love with who? Hermione?" Harry started to frown a bit. 

"No! That curly blonde girl. With the scrunchie. She's really pretty, mate!" Dean nodded enthusiastically.

Harry relaxed while Draco spluttered. "No way! I met her today!" He argued. 

"Right, but - " Seamus stopped when he saw the time. "Get in bed! We have classes tomorrow!" 

They all scrambled into bed. In the darkness, Draco sighed. If only he could talk to - 

"Hermione?" 

I used actual text from the book for the Wingardium Levoisa scene: ALL RIGHTS GO TO JK ROWLING!

Hope you enjoyed!

- Eliza 🛳