The Start

Hermione's POV 

If Hermione had thought they could enjoy a peaceful visit to Hogsmeade without something going wrong, she was way off. 

A Patronus of an eagle had soared through minutes earlier, telling Draco to report to Dumbledore's office immediately. 

"This is so stupid," Draco said with gritted teeth. "Since we're not supposed to have war memories and all, they're just saying Lucius committed a few major crimes in Australia or somewhere. Which means that if we hadn't gotten our memories back, I would have no clue what my father had done to deserve prison time."

"That's horrible," Hermione grimaced, walking quickly to the castle with Draco. "How can they even cover something as big as the war?"

"By manipulation, trickery, bribery, and a load of evil," Draco said darkly. 

"Dumbledore is expecting you in his office," McGonagall crisply said, striding up to them once they got to the school grounds. 

Draco grimly nodded, making his way up the stairs, leaving Hermione with McGonagall. 

"How do you do, Professor?" Hermione attempted to break the silence with small talk. 

"Not so good, I'm afraid," McGonagall's voice was tired and weary. 

Hermione's mouth opened a little, not expecting McGonagall to be so forward. 

"It's just work," McGonagall quickly clarified. "How is Hogwarts treating you?"

Hermione could tell something was off with McGonagall, but she didn't question it. "Oh, it's - uh, it's nice."

They lapsed into an awkward silence again. 

"Take care, Ms. Granger," McGonagall suddenly said, before hurrying off to the castle. 

Hermione opened her mouth to call her back, or make her explain her confusing behavior, but Harry ran up to her just then, cutting her off. 

"Have - you - heard?" Harry gasped, panting. 

"What?" Hermione curiously. 

"Draco's dad isn't going to go on trial after all! Apparently, killing in the wa - " Harry broke off, his eyes widening in realization when Hermione kicked him. 

"Kissing in the... washroom, that's what Harry meant," Hermione tried to correct him so McGonagall wouldn't be suspicious. 

Harry held back a snigger. 

"Good," McGonagall nearly smiled at them before sweeping away. 

Hermione glared at Harry, ready to chastise him, but she was interrupted by a beautiful, uncommon sight. 

Draco Malfoy smiling. 

Of course, Hermione had seen this many times before, but him being a Malfoy, he smiled a lot less than everyone else, especially in the first time period, the beginning of the second one, and the past weeks. 

But a genuine, huge smile on Draco Malfoy's face. Real happiness; not the fake cloud they'd been living in for the past years.

"He's not getting a trial," Draco grinned as he reached them. "He's. Not. Getting. A. Trial."

"That's great news," Hermione hugged him, her heart speeding up a bit as she touched him. 

The three friends exchanged a smile before starting to make their way up to their common room. 

"Now that that's out of the way... " Draco uncomfortably trailed off. 

"Spit it out, mate," Harry rolled his eyes.