Strategizing

Hermione's POV

"We're here!" Hermione announced, grinning.

"Joy," Draco muttered, though he was restraining a grin.

"We'll see you at the ball, Harry," Hermione have a quick hug to Harry.

Draco and Harry nodded at each other before Harry left.

"Where's Ms. Malfoy?" Hermione asked, scanning the crowd for the blonde.

"Dears," a gentle voice said.

"Mother," Draco acknowledged her, his smile threatening to break through.

"Mrs. Malfoy," Hermione said. "Thank you for letting me stay at your house, it really means -"

She cut her off. "Nonsense, you're always welcome. And it's not Mrs. Malfoy, it's - "

"I can't possibly call you by your first name," Hermione protested.

She laughed. "No, no. But my name isn't Malfoy anymore."

Draco raised an eyebrow.

"It's Black. I recently got it changed to Narcissa Black. My maiden name," she smiled.

Draco's eyes widened while Hermione grinned with delight.

"I won't have to change my name to Draco Black, right?" He asked, mildly panicked.

Narcissa merely rolled her eyes and led them to a small alleyway.

"Let's side Apparate," Narcissa held out her hand, and the two took it.

A moment of whiplash and one crack! Later, they were in front of Malfoy Manor.

The three of them made their way across the green path. Hermione realized, with a blush, that Draco hadn't let go of her hand.

"Mistress! Taffy will show yous the way to yours room!" A small house elf immediately took Hermione's things. Hermione noticed, with a tinge of satisfaction, that she was outfitted neatly in a black dress that seemed like it was made for a toddler.

"Thank you," she smiled at the small elf.

"We'll meet for dinner at 8:30," Narcissa informed her. "Draco, be a dear and show her around."

"She knows the place very well, Mother," Draco exasperatedly said.

"Yes, but if a certain desirable event has taken place, which I am sure it has," Narcissa looked pointedly at their entwined hands. "Then I know you two will enjoy a walk together." 

Hermione blushed, her entire face resembling a tomato. Even Draco seemed to have a slight tinge of red in his cheeks.

"Mother," Draco said, but couldn't continue.

"I support it fully, just so you know," Narcissa winked at them.

"Taffy, just take us up," Draco groaned. They start to ascend the stairs.

"He wouldn't," Narcissa whispered softly, softly enough for them to nearly miss it.

"He's not here anymore, and never will be," Draco firmly said.

Narcissa smiler wistfully at him. Then she seemed to collect herself. "Of course. Dinner at 8:30, don't forget!"

Taffy immediately took Hermione up to her room, which she noted was a few doors away from Draco's.

The inside was as luxurious and beautiful as the rest of the house. Hermione couldn't recall  staying in Malfoy Manor overnight when she was young, so she supposed that was why this was the first time she had seen a guest bedroom.

A large, white, covered with fluffy pillows took up the right side of the room. The left side consisted of a wooden walk-in closet, and a set of comfortable chairs sat near it. The highlight of the room, however, was the beautiful window encompassing an entire wall, and the walnut bookcase next to the bed.

"Like it?" Draco's smug voice asked. Hermione turned around to see him leaning against the doorframe.

"Like it? It's perfect," Hermione gave him a wide grin.

"I know," Draco arrogantly said.

"Rich people," Hermione muttered, turning to study the magnificent view.

The vast Malfoy garden stretched from meadow to meadow. Strategically placed flowers bloomed cheerfully and though the trees were bare now, they still added onto the entire landscape.

"It should snow soon," Draco commented. He had come to join her at the window.

"A white Christmas, huh?" Hermione leaned against him.

He wrapped his arms around her. "The all should be fun."

"With charming Umbridge and trying to dupe Mr. Weasley, I have no doubt about it," Hermione sarcastically replied.

"How will we do that exactly?" Especially with her watching us," Draco sighed.

"My plan originally was to find him in a secluded area and work our charms until he told us, possibly - " here, Hermione winced. "Possibly Obliviate him if necessary."

"But with Umbridge, we need a less suspicious way to talk to him," Draco finished Hermione's thought.

"Maybe we could get to him by using one of his kids that we know?" Hermione suggested.

"We've used Ginny enough," Draco said.

"And I don't want to ruin Harry's chance for a happy evening," Hermione agreed. "But we don't know anyone else besides - "

Draco nodded grimly. "Ron."

Hermione nearly choked. "Ron?! How?"

"He likes Harry, but we've already agreed not to trouble him," Draco said. "He hates me, that's a given."

"But he doesn't hate me," Hermione slowly said.

Draco caught on immediately. "No. No way. I am not letting you near that ginger weasel."

"But it makes sense," Hermione pressed. "He already thinks I'm in love with him - "

"What?" Draco growled.

" - so it'll be easy to catch him while he's talking to his father, show everyone it's not suspicious, ask him to do something that gets me alone with Mr. Weasley," Hermione grew more excited with the idea.

"Absolutely not," Draco gritted his teeth.

"Okay, so I'm doing it!" Hermione summarized.

Draco shook his head. "You will not."

"And since when were you the boss of me?" Hermione fired back. "I'll do what I please. Pretending to like someone I genuinely did like in another time period won't be too hard, especially if it's for saving the world."

"Hang in," Draco spluttered. "Used to like?"

Hermione teasingly ruffled his hair. "So much jealousy in one person."

Draco managed to roll his eyes, though he was still slightly irritated.  "Anything else?"

Hermione paused, before winking. "I might just have to kiss him, too."

She fled before Mount Malfoy exploded.

Hello! Happy 4/20! (Though it may not be when I publish it). I'm on a long flight, so I have plenty of time  to write so yay!

Also, 33K? Am I actually hallucinating?

Hope you enjoyed!

- Eliza