Hope

Malfoy walked next to Hermione as they made their way to Dumbledore's office. 

Dumbledore had called them in, under the pretense of checking to see how the transfers were doing.

They both refused to look at each other. 

Hermione exhaled loudly. 

Malfoy breathed in. 

Hermione breathed out.

Malfoy shoved his hands in his pockets.

Hermione fixed her hair. 

Malfoy exhaled.

Hermione inhaled.

"Merlin!" Malfoy exclaimed.

"Where?" Hermione boredly asked.

Malfoy pointed at himself, smugly. 

Hermione raised an eyebrow. "In your dreams."

They went back to their silence. 

Malfoy tapped his feet. 

Hermione whistled a tune. 

Malfoy patted down his hair. 

Hermione hummed a popular Muggle song. 

They reached Dumbledore's office. 

"Professor, do you have any information about getting us back?" Hermione asked earnestly.

"Unfortunately, not yet," Dumbledore said apologetically. He gestured for them to sit, but both of them remained standing.  

Hermione's heart crashed. She hadn't expected it, really, but... 

"But as I'm sure you've heard, a war is brewing."  Dumbledore bowed his head. 

"Really," Malfoy said sarcastically. 

Hermione glared at him, though it wasn't with much feeling. 

"We have a group to fight the war calle - "

"Just skip straight to the end," Malfoy ordered him, his eyes dark. 

Hermione snorted slightly at Dumbledore's expression, then covered her mouth. What had happened that she was disrespecting the greatest wizard of all time? 

"Your information would be highly valued. I was wondering if you two would be interested in joining?" Dumbledore asked, peering keenly at them through his glasses. 

Hermione blinked once, wondering what to say. She had already been caught up in one war - she didn't want to fight in another. 

But how could she not? This was the war that would make Harry who he was, the war that would - the war that would kill Lily and James Potter and shatter the lives of so many others.

"Of course, I'd love to," Hermione said, detached.  

"Mr. Johnson?" Dumbledore focused on Malfoy.

"Whatever." He looked annoyed, as if he was forced into the decision.

"Wonderful! We will call you for a meeting. Have a wonderful night." Dumbledore turned around and started to stroke Fawkes. 

Hermione trudged back to the dorms in silence, Malfoy brooding quietly behind her.

She paused as she spoke the password to the playful dog portrait. She had no idea why a dog would be the guardian, but it seemed quite intelligent, and opened the door when Hermione said the password.