The Christmas Ball

Hermione's POV

"I see them!" Hermione exclaimed, straightening  up to get a better view of Harry and Ginny.

"He tried to brush his hair," Draco observed.

"Key word being tried," Hermione laughed, making her way over to them.

"You look amazing, Ginny," Hermione warmly complimented her best friend from another time period.

"Thanks, you too," Ginny beamed at her.

"Harry, what are you wearing?" Draco looked at Harry's robes in mild disgust.

"I was convinced I had to wear dress robes," Harry sheepishly said, taking in everyone else's suits and ties.

"You should've owled us," Hermione said, in a mixture of regret and disappointment. "These are worse than - " Hermione stopped, remembering Ginny, but Harry got her reference to all those years back to the Yule Ball in her first - not the second - time period.

Merlin, why was her life so complicated?

"Hey, I'll take you upstairs and you can borrow one of my suits," Draco said. "There might be nothing that fits your stick frame, but I know a spell."

With that, he led Harry upstairs.

Ginny and Hermione were left in awkward silence.

"Hey, so, just in case you see anything weird today, please don't do anything about it," Hermione broke the silence, realizing that only Ginny really knew about her relationship with Draco, and seeing her flirt with Ron could cause problems.

"Like what?" Ginny raised an eyebrow.

"Anything to do with my relationship," Hermione mysteriously said.

Ginny nodded, her eyes twinkling with humor. "I'll be sure to keep my mouth shut if you suddenly start flirting with Neville."

Hermione faked a laugh, but winced. She had no idea how close she had come to the truth.

"There's, um, candy, and some soda over there," Hermione tried to make things more normal.

"Ooh, really?" Ginny started to walk over. "I was afraid of Harry seeing me pig out, but I guess since he isn't here..."

"Oh, Harry won't mind, trust me," Hermione smiled.

Ginny shrugged. "That works for me." She started helping herself to a tray full of assorted chocolate. "Wow, this stuff is good."

"Taffy will be pleased," Hermione distractedly said. She had just seen Ron Weasley out of the corner of her eye. He was at another food table, uncomfortably dressed in hand me down robes m, his eyes shifting around awkwardly.

"So, who did all these special effects?" Ginny asked, leaning back. "They're pretty cool."

"Yeah - Narcissa - cool," Hermione tore herself away from looking at Ron for a second. "Hey, I'm going to go talk to somebody, would you excuse me?"

She barely had time to hear Ginny's surprised 'sure' before she was pursuing Ron.

An equally uncomfortable looking Arthur Weasley was near him.