Know It All

Hermione's POV

Hermione silently walked with Lily, trying to appear cheerful.  

"So, you need to know things about this place," Lily informed her. 

"Alright," Hermione said, smiling. She genuinely liked Lily. She was fun and easy to be around.

"Firstly, the Slytherins - those are the people from another house - absolutely hate us. They think we're scum at the bottom of their feet," Lily rolled her eyes. 

Oh, I know, Hermione shook her head. 

"And if you're Muggleborn, they will pulverize you," Lily spoke with a slightly less cheerful tone. 

"Are you Muggleborn?" Hermione asked, though she already knew. 

Lily hesitated. 

"I'm just asking because I'm Muggleborn," Hermione quickly clarified. 

"Yeah," Lily said dejectedly. "I sometimes hate it, because of how people persecute us, but then I remember that I'm one in a thousand Muggles who became a witch somehow."

Nothing has changed, huh?

"Is it because of Vol - uh, You Know Who? Uh, don't know much about that guy. Haha." Hermione enquired, trying to sound like she was oblivious to the war.

Lily's eyes became clouded with sadness. "He's a problem, yeah. He believes Muggleborns and 'Mudbloods' - that's the bad word for people like us - that they should be wiped out. And he's coming pretty close to recruiting many people to do that. How come you don't know? Oh, wait, you were in America, right?"

Hermione nodded, not trusting herself to speak. She had read a lot about America, of course, but if people started asking her about it, she would totally butcher it. 

"Yeah," Lily sighed. "Well, be glad you're only here for your NEWTS. It's going to become worse soon."

Hermione gulped back a sob. 

She had no idea. 

"Maybe it'll all blow over," Lily said, her voice hopeful. "He hasn't attacked anyone recently."

Hermione didn't want to rip through the thin fabric of hope in her voice. 

Another thing that hasn't changed. What wonderful constants.

Lily stopped in front of a red and gold door. "This is my room - our room, now, I guess."

Hermione had never seen the Heads dormitory. It was supposed to be connected with a common room in between, but she'd only heard stories. 

She had always aspired to be Head; now she didn't even know if she could go back to being a 6th year. 

"Have all the previous heads been Gryffindor?" Hermione asked, gesturing to the door, for the sake of small talk.

Lily laughed. "No. The door changes according to the Heads."

"Guess we didn't have that in America," Hermione joked, trying to sound knowledgable. 

Lily grinned. "It's cool that we're rooming. We've never had transfers, so I suppose the professors weren't sure what to do. But I'm glad, it gets lonely."

She started up a flight of stairs. "My bed, and here's yours. Weird, that bed wasn't there before, but I guess McGonagall did it. She's a wonder, that professor. You'll love her class." 

"Thanks, Lily." Hermione stumbled over the name that was previously was only used in sad tones.

Lily stared at her curiously for a second.