Problematic

Hermione's POV 

"What do you mean?" Hermione demanded, not letting herself hope for anything. 

False hope was the worst. It wormed it's way inside of you, resting there for ages, letting you feel that maybe it would be okay, until it crushed you. 

"I - " Harry hesitated. "How did you guys get back here in the first place?"

"Draco was stupid, he said part of a spell, then I said part of a spell, and he had a Time Turn - " Hermione stopped abruptly, her eyes wide. 

How had this never occurred to her before? The fact that he had a Time Turner? 

Why had she never asked? 

According to Draco's expression, he hadn't wanted her to remember. His grim expression had become guilty. 

"Um," Draco started. He took a deep breath. "Please don't hate me for keeping this from you."

"Spit it out," Hermione said. 

"My... father said that I would be able to use it someday, and for now, I needed to keep it safe," Draco explained, shifting. 

"Do you know why?" Hermione quickly questioned. 

"I wasn't supposed to, but I overheard a conversation he had with my mother," Draco said, taking a shaky breath. 

Draco's POV 

Flashback

"Goodnight, Draco," his mother formally inclined her head at him. 

Draco bit his lip. He couldn't pretend that his mother's lack of affection disheartened him. 

It had been that way for longer than he could possibly remember, but it still hurt. 

"Goodnight, Mother."

He knew how to hide his feelings, too.

"Upstairs," his father ordered him, without so much as a glance.

But Draco didn't go upstairs. 

He simply sat down at the base of the stairs, looking at the foreign object in his hands. 

A time turner. 

One of the most feared, the most damaging object in all time. 

And it was in a sixteen year old's hands. 

His father hadn't said much when he'd given it to him, except "Keep it safe - you'll uphold the Malfoy's honor this way."

Draco knew why Lucius himself couldn't keep it. 

Ministry officials were flocking by their house. They were suspicious of Lucius, for good reasons. 

But no one would suspect Draco. 

Draco was tempted to use the Time Turner, maybe go back to the time where Lucius had become involved with the Dark Arts in the first place, but he didn't, for two reasons. 

Firstly, because he knew that Time Turners couldn't go back that far. 

Secondly, he knew his father's orders. Don't touch it. And though Draco wished he wouldn't be so dependent on his father, he was, and he couldn't disobey him. 

He had been sitting there for a long time; almost twenty minutes, when he heard voices from the dining hall. 

"Why, Lucius?" Narcissa's tired, worried voice penetrated Draco's ears.