Regrets

Harry's POV 

Ron raced ahead of him on his broom, laughing as he did loops around trees. 

Harry followed at a slower pace, thinking about his friends. 

Of course he regretted that he couldn't be friends with Ron and Draco and Hermione at the same time. Draco and Hermione were his best friends for as long as he could remember. He loved them like siblings. 

But Ron was a great friend. Sure, he was insanely stupid around Draco, but Harry knew that was just how he coped.  

A Death Eater was one of the worst insults someone could call you. No one really knew what it meant, but it was something you couldn't forgive.

And Ron, being Ron, had called Draco one. 

Flashback

"Death Eater. Why don't you run back and let your mommy fix you a snack? Stop polluting this school." Ron hissed. Harry gritted his teeth. 

"Hey! Take that back, right now!" Hermione flew in front of him, causing all of them to stop.

"I'm sorry, are you actually talking to me?" Ron sneered, any civility towards Hermione gone.

Harry gasped slightly, wondering why he had suddenly grown so rude. 

"Yes, I am. I want to know what gives you the right to pick on my friend? You're a rude boy who picks on others to make him feel better about himself, a future gas station attendant." Hermione's teeth were clenched.

There was a pause.

"What's a gas station attendant?"

Flashback End

How exactly could Harry forgive that? But Ron was always really nice to him when he wasn't around Draco. He could even force some civility when Hermione was there. 

He couldn't just choose, so he decided to keep them away from each other, but still hang out with both of them. 

Which of course, was seen as betrayal on both sides. Ron hyped about it more, but Harry couldn't stand seeing Hermione's disappointed face when Harry ran off with Ron. 

So, to avoid it, he tried moving into Ron's dorm. 

He guessed that that was the worst thing he could've done. Ron seemed appeased, but Draco barely talked to him anymore. When he did, it was just polite, like acquaintances. 

It was Halloween, and he had ditched their annual pranks in favor of flying with Ron. Even worse, it was a Friday, which meant he had also not showed up to their weekly flying session. Hermione was getting good on a broom, and Harry couldn't believe he was blowing them off again. 

I messed up. 

He glanced at Ron, who was too busy showing off to Neville. Then he urged his broom to speed off to the other side of the castle. By the time they had noticed, he was already running off in search of his best friends. 

Hermione's POV 

"Draco! I'm serious!" Hermione reprimanded him. 

"Well, do you not realize how weird that is?" Draco asked, calming down a bit. 

"Right, but, the way teachers are acting, the way that so many people don't remember a few minutes after they eat the cupcake," Hermione bit her lip as she thought. 

Draco sobered up, seeing she was completely serious. "That time we visited the Potters. Remember, they said... something, and these Ministry people came and we ate a cupcake?"