Deception

Draco's POV 

Hermione was pestering him to tell her the entire way back to Hogwarts. The thestrals had been patiently waiting in a shadow near them, so it wasn't too hard to go back. 

"Tell me!" Hermione hissed, poking him. 

Draco was mulling over what he had learned. 

If it was really true, the entire Wizarding World could be destroyed. 

Again. 

He could see no way to stop it; even if Umbridge was somehow killed, there would be a legion of Ministry officials waiting to carry out her orders.

"Let's just get back to Harry," Draco muttered, pulling Hermione into the castle.

Hermione transformed into her Animagus, glaring at him through it's brown eyes. 

Draco didn't notice. 

It seemed like even after they had changed the Marauder's timeline drastically, everything was still a mess. 

So what could they do to stop it? And were things really better off now, without Voldemort? 

There were the same amount of problems, still.

 And no one had learned from the war; instead of trying to prevent another one by teaching the kids the consequences, they just stole their memories, and expected another one not to happen. 

But if things went the way that Draco thought it would, then one would happen. Maybe not how they anticipated it, but it would happen. 

Hermione nudged him. He had been so caught up in his thoughts that he didn't realize that they were in front of the Fat Lady. 

"Quod erat demonstratum," Hermione tried to say, but obviously, as a cat, she didn't get far. 

"Poor dears!" The Fat Lady opened her eyes and looked at them. "Some unruly Gryffindors left their pets! How appalling! Come in!"

She swung open to reveal the dying embers of the common room's fire. 

The Fat Lady closed, with a "Sleep well, dears!"

Hermione immediately transformed back. 

"Explain," she said, icily. "I'm going to call Harry, and when we get back, you'll be able to form a coherent sentence and tell us what's wrong."

Draco nodded mutely. 

Hermione ran up the stairs as noiselessly as she could. 

When Harry, in pajamas and staring at him with wide eyes, and Hermione returned, Draco was ready to talk. 

"Yes?" Hermione prodded. 

"This time period isn't as great as it seems," Draco began. 

Harry snorted. "They're wiping our memories. What do you expect?"

"I mean, there's something else," Draco shivered at the thought. 

Harry and Hermione waited. 

Draco released a breath. 

Hermione drummed her fingers. 

Harry hummed softly. 

Draco fixed his shirt. 

Harry glanced at the door. 

"OH MY MERLIN, DRACO!" Hermione exploded. "TELL US!"

Draco sucked in a few breaths. "So, you know about our memories being wiped."

"Yes, so that the war wouldn't happen, yadda, yadda, yadda," Harry impatiently said.