Chapter 9

The days turned to weeks and the weeks turned to months. Soon enough, three months have passed already and it was time for Maine's follow-up check up.

As was requested by her doctor, Alden had once again joined the Mendozas for the doctor's appointment. Maine was more relaxed this time, knowing that she did well in her exercises for the last three months. She'd hope that the doctor would increase her activities as she felt wonderful ever since their move.

Like their first visit, Jenny came in first giving Dr. Vega her progress report on Maine's condition. Then she led the family and Alden inside the doctor's office when she was done.

Dr. Vega started with the usual. He gave Maine his prognosis based on Jenny's report. He was happy with the findings.

"Jenny also mentioned that you've never missed going on your walks, Maine," Dr. Vega said. "Have you experienced any chest pains during your walks?"

Maine smiled and shook her head. She reported, "I haven't even used my oxygen. That's good, right Doc?"

Dr. Vega nodded and smiled. He checked the report again and added, "With the progress that you're making, we can increase your walks to 5-8 minutes everyday."

"Can I also go biking now?" She asked enthusiastically.

"You don't even know how yet," Alden muttered softly so that she was the only one who could hear.

"Well," Maine retorted. "You promised to teach me."

"And I will."

"When?"

"When I get approval from your doctor."

"You too argue like an old married couple," Dr. Vega observed with a soft chuckle. "It's cute, really."

Alden and Maine simultaneously looked back at the doctor and then bowed their heads in embarrassment. Dr. Vega as well as Maine's parents just laughed it off.

A few moments later, Dr. Vega cleared his throat and said, "anyway, to actually answer your question, Maine. It's still a little too early for you to go biking. Baby steps, Maine. We'll eventually get there. But for now, focus on walking. Then we'll see again in three months time if we can add biking to your regiment."

Maine's face fell but she nodded in understanding. Alden saw the defeated look on her face and reached out to take her hand. He gave it a reassuring squeeze. Maine looked up to him and saw his bedimpled smile. She couldn't help but smile back. He had that affect on her. For the short period that they've became friends, he'd become her stress reliever and her biggest supporter. He was that person she could run to whenever she was doubting herself and he was always ready to encourage her. He was really patient with her even on days when she was being difficult. And now that she was feeling a bit disappointed, he's there to say that it's fine. To keep being patient.

After a few more reminders for Maine, Dr. Vega once again asked her to wait outside. Alden fished out his PSP and handed it to her and said, "open your saved game this time. Not mine."

"What if I just open your game and not save what I've done," she remarked.

"That would be a complete waste of your time that you could have used to improve your farm," he answered.

"But your farm looks better than mine."

"Because you're not playing yours."

"But -"

They stopped when they heard Dr. Vega clear his throat. All three adults eyes were fixed on them once more.

"Sorry Dr. Burnz," Maine answered sheepishly. "I am heading out the door now."