Chapter 80

Once they were settled in the hotel room, they both settled on the bed and decided to do one of their favorite activity together: reading. Maine sat on the bed with her back against the headboard, pillows propped behind her to keep her comfortable, one of her hand was holding her Kindle. Richard was lying down, his head on her lap, a copy of Neil Gaiman's "Norse Mythology" on his left hand, while his right hand held Maine's hand that was placed on his chest. Their parents would usually find them that way, whenever they check on what they were doing. It was one of their favorite things to do when they were back home. They would just usually stay in Richard's room and just read together. There was companionable silence between them as they go off on a different adventure but was still bound together by their intertwined fingers.

Every so often, Richard would pull Maine's hand to his lips, kissing her fingers or the back of her palm. Maine would let go sometimes to graze her thumb on his lips before returning and holding his hand once more, Richard would reach out and caress her cheek at the same moment.

They were like that for a time, until Richard's phone alarmed. He quickly rose from where he was lying and started rummaging from his luggage. He took out a small pouch and brought it to the bed, along with a glass of water. He gave the glass to Maine and after rummaging through the small pouch, produced her meds.

"Drink up," he said as he handed her the medicine. He then sat on the edge of the bed beside her.

Without a word, Maine took the meds. There was a worried look from Richard while she did so.

"How are you feeling?" He asked when she placed the water on the bedside table.

"Fine," she smiled in reassurance. "Great even!"

Richard smiled and pulled her to him. Maine crawled to his lap and wrapped her arms around his waist, leaning her head on his chest.

"I really can't believe you've set up your phone to remind you of my meds," she said.

"Doc Burnz said we need to make sure you don't forget," he replied.

"You worry too much," she muttered as she buried her face on his chest, inhaling his scent. "But thank you."

"I love you," he remarked as he enveloped her in his embrace. He kissed her temple and continued, "and we did promise to take care of your heart. I'm just doing what I can."

"I love you, my Home," she replied and held him tighter.

They stayed in that position for a time before Maine suddenly said, "can I ask you something?"

"You know you can."

She was silent for a while, trying to organize her thoughts. Finally, she sighed and said, "how many girlfriends did you have before we became a couple?"

"None," he answered without hesitation.

"Really?"

"You sound like you don't believe me."

"It's just hard to believe that a guy like you could have stayed single all this time," she explained but she held him tighter, placing her head in the crook of his neck. "You were never really interested with anyone?"

"Well," he hesitated. "There was Jane..."

"Jane?" Maine's head jerked up and met his eyes, eyebrows furrowed.

Richard stared back at her as he reached out to cup her cheeks with both her hands. He kissed her softly, nibbling on her lower lip before delving into her mouth. Maine moaned softly as his kisses always make her react like that. But he ended the kiss quickly, as he kissed the corner of her mouth before pulling away.

"Heart..." He started but Maine cut him off.

"Who's Jane?" She asked again after getting her bearing back.

Richard sighed and replied, "it was before I saw you through Rich's webcam. She was a classmate of mine back in high school. She was cute. Smart. Funny. Athletic. She would have been great, if not for one thing that was a real deal breaker for me."

"What was the deal breaker?"

"She adores Jar Jar Binks."

"You're pulling my leg."

"About her adoring Jar Jar or about that being a deal breaker?"

"Both."

"I kid you not on both counts," Richard replied. He pulled her to him in an embrace as he placed his head on the crook of her neck inhaling her scent. He traced her jawline with his nose going up to her ear where he kissed her near it. He went on in a whisper, "no fan in their right mind would like Jar Jar. Anyone who thinks he's adorable is not a real fan. I don't like fake fans."

He continued to tease her as he trailed soft kisses on her jawline back down her neck. He heard her intake of breath as she clutched his shirt, pulling him even closer. She raised her head up to give him better access.

"So," Maine sighed as she tried to concentrate on their conversation. "You guys were never together?"

"Never," he replied. His placed a hand on her thigh, his fingers trailing along her legs as he continued kissing her neck. It made her shudder. He heard her moan as he went on, "honestly, it is a deal breaker for me. I'm really serious about that. It would never work out."

She pulled away and searched his eyes once more. She said, "but I like Jar Jar."

"No you don't," he replied with a smile. "I overheard you talk about him with Rich before. You share the annoyance we have about the Gungan."

"But still, we do have different opinions on Star Wars," she said worriedly. "What if we don't have the same opinions?"

"Maine," Richard replied. His hands once more cupping her face. "Haven't I already proven how much I love you? I call 'EU' 'Legends' now. You are the only girl who can make me change my take on Star Wars.

"Heart, we will have different opinions about a lot of things. But like I said, I'm in this for the long haul. I would give in to anything you want as long as it's within reason.

"Maine, I had been head over heels in love with you since that day you stepped inside my brother's room. Jane was just that girl I was attracted to. There's no comparison. You're way over her league. And the fact that you hate Jar Jar as much as we do is the icing on the cake."

"I love you, My Home," she said, her face buried in his chest, her hands wrapped around his waist.

"You are my everything and more, My Heart," he said as he placed a kiss on her temple. "Remember that. You're the only one for me. The only one."