Chapter 76

They followed their parents around the mall some more before everyone decided to go home. As promised, Richard dropped off Maine at the cemetery before bringing their parents home.

"Stay put until I get you," he reminded her before she stepped out of the SUV.

"Where else would I go?"

Richard just gave her a pointed look that she giggled. She reached out to take his hand and placed it on her cheek. She kissed the inside of his palm for reassurance as they tried to ignore their giggling mothers in the background.

"Drive safely," she said. "I'll stay with Alden until you come get me."

After saying good bye to their parents, Maine stepped out of the SUV. Richard stayed a couple of seconds more before driving off. Maine started towards Alden's gravesite.

There was a couple leaving when she arrived at the site. Day old flowers were placed below his tombstone as Richard's parents were there yesterday. Maine sat in front of it and traced his name with her fingers.

"Hey Alden!" She started. "Long time, no see."

She paused as she tried to organize her thoughts. It had been a week since she last talked to him. She still talked to him via their two-way radio. But the recent events in her life deserved a one-on-one.

"Remember 2 weeks ago when I said RJ was courting me?" She started. "I just wanted to tell you I said yes to him three days ago in Sao Paulo. So, you should congratulate me as I am now the proud girlfriend of your brother."

She smiled at the memory of that day, then she went on, "I wouldn't have said yes to him if it wasn't for you. Your heart pointed me in the right direction. You're right, our heart never lies. And it showed me where I needed to be. So thanks, Alden. Thanks very much for giving me RJ.

"I know you're fine with this. Me and RJ being together, because why else would you give your heart to me? I think you've planned this from the start. So, help us Alden. You do want me for a sister-in-law, right? Help me keep your heart. Help me to stay with him. I love him, Alden, very much. And I want it so much to stay by his side."

Maine didn't realize that tears started to fall from her eyes. She wiped them away and took another deep breath. She thought she was over her fear when Richard assured her last night that both of them would put effort in taking care of her heart. But she was still afraid, not because she might lose her heart but more of her losing her RJ in the process. She couldn't let that happen. She needed to keep their heart, if not for her sake then for Richard's.

She traced his name once more with her fingers. She bit her lip as she tried to once again organize her thoughts on what to say to her bestfriend. She took a deep breath, let it out slowly before saying, "I do need your help though. RJ still feels so much hurt over your passing. He hides it well but it creeps up from time to time. It's only now that he just started grieving for you. Did you know that he felt everything you experienced during your accident? Those things cut deep, Alden. It's not something you could easily move on to. And RJ carried it with him for years. It's amazing how he never had nightmares with that experience. But Alden, he needs you. We need to help him with this."

Maine then went on narrating to Alden the other things about her life and the places she went to in Sao Paolo. She told him about her team and Martin and the experiment that will start after their current rotation.

She was already calm and collected when she felt the uncanny sensation at the back of her neck. She knew that Richard had arrived and she smiled at the thought.

"Hey Rich!" He said first as he sat down beside Maine in front of Alden's tombstone. "I see you've already met my girlfriend, Maine."

Maine laughed at his statement and playfully slapped him on his arm. Richard grabbed her hand and kissed the back of her palm lovingly, looking at her eyes as he did so.

Still holding her hand, he turned back to the tombstone and said seriously, "but seriously, Rich. I knew you had a hand in this. So thank you for your blessing. I promise, you won't regret this. The both of you. I'll do my best for us."

He looked at Maine when he said the last part and he turned back to Alden as he continued, "I'll take care of her for the both of us. Like I said, I'll do my best. I won't let you down, Rich. You've given me such a precious gift."

"RJ..."

He turned to her then and cupped her face with both his hands and said, "I will do my best, Maine. I can't promise you a perfect relationship but I will do my best to show you everyday how precious you are to me."

Maine smiled and pulled his head towards her for a simple kiss. Then she turned to Alden's tombstone and said, "I'll also take care of RJ for the both of us, Alden. You won't regret giving him to me. I promise."

A small smiled formed on Richard's face after hearing what she said.

"Thank you, Maine," he said.

"We're in this together, right?"

"Always."