Chapter 62

Maine came down to breakfast the next day, her parents were already there starting. Ted was reading the morning paper while Mary Anne was making him coffee. She greeted her parents and their housekeeper, Ate Vangie, who placed a glass of water and her meds in front of her.

"Don't forget to drink that hija after eating," she reminded as she went about her business in the kitchen.

Conversation flowed on the table with her parents telling her of their visit in Bulacan. Maine listened as she ate, trying to get the nerve to tell her parents what happened in Milan and Rome. When her parents finally asked her about her trip, Maine started to tell them about the places she went and the activities that they have done.

"Have you known that RJ was the one who's been singing to me all these years?" Maine asked as she saw her parents gave each other a look.

"We've found out when you were in the hospital," Ted explained. "When Jason sang for his brother for the first time, Rio and Rick told us that Alden couldn't sing."

"I wish I'd known then," Maine muttered as she finished her orange juice and drank her meds.

She suddenly cleared her throat to get her parents attention. When they looked up from what they were doing, she bit her lip and looked uneasy. She took a deep breath and let it out in a huff. She just decided to be straight forward and not beat around the bush with her parents.

"Mom? Dad?" Maine started uneasy. "RJ's courting me."

Both Ted and Mary Anne looked at each other and was trying to hide the smile from their faces which worried Maine.

"Well," Ted replied. "It's about time. He asked permission to court you two years ago. I was wondering when he'll get a chance to start."

"He asked?" Maine wondered.

"Yes," Her mom answered. "I think you were in Cebu that time. You guys keep missing each other, I was worried that you wouldn't see him in this lifetime. But he came here one day and asked permission to your father and me. Your father gave him a hard time, as much of a hard time as he did when Alden also asked permission before."

"Alden asked to court me before?"

Her father nodded and replied, "I told Alden before that he needed to wait until you were at least sixteen, then I will allow it. He promised to wait and just remained your friend until that time. With Jason, well you're an adult now so we told him it was really up to you at this point. But we appreciated him asking permission first. It shows the kind of man he is."

"But you still gave him a hard time," Maine gave her dad an exaggerated pout.

"I wouldn't be your father if I didn't," he remarked. "You're still my baby girl, after all."

Maine stood and gave her dad a tight hug and a kiss.

"You're the best!" She said as she did the same to her mother. "The both of you are!"

-oo-

She went back to her room after breakfast, contemplating on what she found out from her parents. As she drew her curtains open, Maine saw Richard coming out of their house. Her heart did its happy beat when she saw him.

Richard had his guitar packed in its bag and he placed it on the back seat of his car. She saw Rio head out as well carrying what looked like a packed lunch for 10 people. She wondered where he was heading. He did mention yesterday that he had somewhere to go.

After she saw him kiss his mother, Richard turned and looked up to her window. She saw him smile and gave her a wave. She waved back, as she felt the blood rush to her cheeks. She saw him fish out his phone and made a call, she jumped when her phone began to ring with "My RJ" on the caller ID.