Chapter 59

She wondered why he asked her to keep her eyes closed, but Maine followed. She felt the cold chain go around her neck but the tingling sensation wasn't because of the chain but Richard's fingers gliding on her skin. She stood unmoving as she felt him fix her hair, brushing off some of the strands that went to her face, his fingers brushing her cheek in a caress. She felt his thumb brushed her lower lip and she was startled by the gesture, remembering a few moments ago when he wiped the gelato with the same thumb. When he whispered "I love you" in Italian, it barely registered because what came immediately after sent her senses and her heart into a frenzy.

Maine was surprised by the gesture, but she found herself returning the kiss, her arms reaching out and rested on his shoulders, her hands gripping on his jacket tightly. She felt Richard sigh as his hand moved from her cheek to the back of her neck deepening the kiss. His lips were soft and tasted of vanilla. Her heart was pounding in her chest, as she also felt butterflies in her stomach. She savored this moment, committing it to memory.

Her lips tasted of strawberries and peaches. It was everything Richard had imagined it would be and more. Her lips were so soft and sweet, and as he felt her arms reached up to his shoulders, it was the only sign he needed to deepen the kiss. She willingly gave him access, and he took pleasure in exploring her mouth. When he felt her sigh, his heart leaped with joy.

It took all of Richard's willpower to finally end the kiss. He rested his forehead on hers, eyes still closed and he sighed, contented. It felt like the missing piece in his heart that had been gone for years have finally found itself home.

He heard the music in his heart and he started to sing softly. He wrapped his arms around Maine's waist and started to sway with her to the music.

🎶What day is it? And in what month?
This clock never seemed so alive
I can't keep up and I can't back down
I've been losing so much time

'Cause it's you and me and all of the people with nothing to do, nothing to lose
And it's you and me and all of the people
And I don't know why I can't keep my eyes off of you

All of the things that I want to say just aren't coming out right
I'm tripping on words
You got my head spinning
I don't know where to go from here

'Cause it's you and me and all of the people with nothing to do, nothing to prove
And it's you and me and all of the people
And I don't know why I can't keep my eyes off of you

Something about you now
I can't quite figure out
Everything she does is beautiful
Everything she does is right

'Cause it's you and me and all of the people with nothing to do, nothing to lose
And it's you and me and all of the people
And I don't know why I can't keep my eyes off of you

And me and all of the people with nothing to do and nothing to prove
And it's you and me and all of the people
And I don't know why I can't keep my eyes off of you

What day is it?
And in what month?
This clock never seemed so alive🎶

While he sang, his eyes were locked on to Maine's beautiful brown orbs. And Maine also couldn't take her eyes off him. He sang his heart out as he swayed Maine to his music.

His song was heard by the majority of the tourists near them and some of the couples started to slow dance with them. When his song ended, the people around them applauded. Maine and Richard looked at each other, a smile across both their faces.