Chapter 112

"Jase, are you okay?"

They were on the last trip of the experiment and the crew was already on their way home. The past six months have been successful and all three teams were given a much needed paid vacation after a job well done. The break will provide management ample time to evaluate and implement how international flights would be ran afterwards.

They have about an hour before they land and everything was running smoothly. But Richard suddenly felt a pang on his chest and he struggled to breathe. He rubbed his chest near his heart and knew immediately that something was wrong with Maine.

"Je," he said as he configured the controls before standing up. "You have control. Sam can you assist Jerald until I get back?"

"Jase," said Jerald with a slight panic in his voice. "We're about to land. Where are you going?"

"Yeah, Jase," added Sam as he sat on the seat Richard vacated. "It's not like you to leave when we're about to land."

"Something doesn't feel right," he answered. "Something's wrong with Maine."

He left the cockpit before either Sam or Jerald could reply.

"One of these days," Jerald muttered. "I will figure out how our Captain became a Jedi where Maine is concerned."

Sam just chuckled but looked back worriedly at the closed door of the cockpit where his captain just left in a hurry.

-oo-

The passengers and FAs were shocked to find their Captain strode down the aisle hurrying towards the Economy section. The FAs were quick to respond in ensuring the passengers that nothing was wrong, but were hiding their own worry. Martin already went at the back earlier because he was called by Abbie. And seeing their Captain outside the cockpit under an hour before they land meant only that something had happened to Maine.

Richard found Martin, Abbie and Raqz huddled by one of the washrooms. Martin was knocking on the door. Tom was by the curtain and was shocked when Richard squeezed passed him.

"Captain?"

"Jase?" Martin said in surprise. "What are you doing here?"

"Where's Maine?"

"I - "

He stopped himself, debating on whether to tell his Captain or not. But he saw the worried look on Richard's face and knew he had an inkling on what's going on. He decided to tell the truth.

"Raqz said that Maine was feeling a bit feverish," he explained. "She's been in the bathroom for 10-minutes."

"Get the key to the washroom, Martin," Richard ordered, which Martin jumped to obey. He took Martin's place by the door and started knocking. The rest of the crew dispersed to make sure that the passengers wouldn't jump to conclusions and cause a panic.

"Maine," he said. "It's me. Open up."

His heart pounded on his chest when she didn't reply. He knocked again, a little forceful this time.

"Come on, Maine," he said. "Let me in!"

He heard a mumble on the other side but the door remained closed. He was about to knock again when Martin came back with the universal keys to the washrooms in hand. Richard let him through and with steady hands unlocked the door.

The sight that met them put Martin back into professional mode, as he immediately barked orders to the FAs nearby, while Richard's worry increased. Maine was sitting on the floor, her head leaned back on the wall, her hands clutching her chest near her heart. She was so pale and some of her hair fell on her face as they escaped from the bun that tied them together. Her eyes were closed and her eyebrows furrowed as if trying to ease the pain she was feeling.