Chapter 24

After Jason left the room, Mary Anne noticed the peaceful look on her daughter's face and thought that she was no longer feeling the pain. They took Maine off the sedatives and the pain in her heart has subsided significantly.

When Maine finally woke up from her sedation, the first word that came out was, "Alden?"

Her mother gently told her that Alden was still in the other room, unconscious. It saddened Maine to hear it but the sensation of someone touching her cheek still lingered in her mind and she wondered whether she dreamt it or not. That touch that she dreamed about felt so real that it gave her some comfort.

Her last heart attack really took it's toll that she was very weak. She was still having some trouble breathing so they have to put an oxygen hose on her. The stress of her heart was severe that even though she'd woken up, a heart transplant was still needed. Dr. Vega have doubled his efforts to find a compatible heart for her.

Now that she was awake though, Maine was getting restless. She really hated being confined in a hospital and in her room. So she kept asking if she could see Alden. But everytime she did, her parents wouldn't allow her. She wondered about that as Alden was just in the other room. It wasn't far and she did promise she wouldn't stay long.

After much begging though, they finally relented albeit a little reluctant. They made sure though that Maine was out of her oxygen before they allowed her to leave her room. When they were sure that her breathing was somewhat normalized, they requested for a wheelchair and her dad pushed her towards the adjacent room. Maine was introduced to Alden's father, Rick, who was alone that time when they came in. After the pleasantries, the adults left her alone with her best friend.

Maine looked about and saw the monitors that were attached to Alden and a tear fell down her cheek at the sight of her best friend. With all her strength she stood up from her wheelchair and reached for the railing on Alden's bed. She reached out and grabbed his hand, squeezing it gently.

She was about to speak when she heard the bathroom door creaked open, but when she turned, it was just left ajar. She furrowed her eyebrows and then looked at Alden's pale face.

"Hey Alden," Maine said. "If that was you, trying to scare me. It's working."

She struggled to breathe but she remained standing on his bedside. She continued, "I had a dream about you, you know? You came into my room and sang for me. You even brought your guitar with you."

She looked around and saw the guitar, leaning on the wall, and she smiled.

"I guess your parents brought your guitar here for you," she stated. "Does it make you feel at ease to have it here? You know, in my dream, you made another song for me. Thanks! I loved it. I hope you'll be able to sing it to me again soon."

She squeezed his hand tighter as tears fell down her face. She continued in between sobs, "please wake up, Alden. Please fight. I'll fight too. Just, don't leave me. You promised me, I'll see the world, remember? You have to keep that promise. You have to!"

She placed his hand on her cheek, the side where she felt the sensation in her dream. Alden's hand felt different somehow, but it was just as comforting.

"Don't leave me, Alden," Maine said once more. "Don't leave me, Rich."

She took in a sharp intake of breath and wondered where she got the name "Rich". She knew Alden had a second name, but he never used it. Maine brushed the thought though and focused on the monitor which have beeped indicating brain activity. She smiled and placed his hand back on the bed.

"I need to go," Maine said. "I'll try to comeback if they let me. Stay strong, Alden. Don't leave me."

With that, she struggled to get back on the wheelchair and her dad went inside to fetch her.

-oo-

Unbeknownst to Maine, there was someone behind the bathroom door listening in on her.

Jason was a bit frustrated. Since Maine had woken up, Dr. Vega advised the Faulkersons and Mendozas not to let Maine see Jason. He explained that her heart would not be able to handle the shock of seeing someone looking like Alden. And seeing as they were having a hard time looking for a possible match, it was advised that Maine should not be stressed any more than she should.

So, they did their best so that Maine would not see him. Jason was not allowed to visit Maine and introduce himself. And it was agreed upon that Maine will not be let into Alden's room. Unfortunately, that plan wasn't possible as Maine did everything she can so that she could visit her best friend that finally, her parents relented.

The plan was to let Jason go on an errand for them so that he would be out while Maine came into the room. But Maine was so excited that day, Jason was not able to leave the room before she arrived. Maine's mother knocked and said that they were coming. Rick's only choice was to shove Jason in the bathroom and asked him to stay quiet while Maine was with his brother.

But Jason got curious as well. He wanted to see Maine up and about, and he wanted to hear her voice. So he opened the bathroom door and kept it ajar, but the door creaked and Maine turned around upon hearing the noise. For a split second, Jason saw the most brilliant brown eyes he has ever seen, and it stabbed at his heart to see those pair of eyes brimming with unshed tears.

He sat down on the tiled bathroom floor as he listened to Maine talk to his twin. He thought her voice was very nice, and smiled as he kept on listening to her. Her voice has a calming effect on him. Jason was a bit disappointed that she thought she was just dreaming when he came to her and sang her a song. He felt a pang of jealousy when Maine thought it was Alden singing to her.

'If you only knew, Maine,' he thought as he continued to listen in.

"Don't leave me, Rich."

Jason's ears perked up when he heard her call Rich by the nickname that he used on his twin.

'How did she know about that?' He thought. 'Was she conscious when I came in the room?'

Silence followed but it was only for a short moment. When Maine spoke again, she was saying good bye with a promise that she will try to come back if she can.

In the small crack on the door, Jason saw Maine sitting on the wheelchair, being pushed by her dad leading her outside of Alden's room.

"Rich," he said softly as he tried to stand up from the floor. "We have a problem."