Chapter 30

"Where's Tanya?"

Richard heard the head flight attendant on his flight crew asking the rest of his team. He turned and saw Martin - the head flight attendant - pacing as the rest of his team were watching his every move. He was tall as most FA should be and the eldest in their group. He has been in the company for years and the best in their field. Any FA who was lucky enough to be on his team during a rotation could attest to his expertise. No FA would want to be on his bad side as he was the most trusted by their bosses to give fair recommendations and evaluations.

"Didn't she sent you a text that she switched assignments again?" The FA named Ardee asked. She was one of the seniors and one of the most reliable in the current team in their rotation. He usually liked it when Ardee was placed with his team. It meant that the FAs in his flight wouldn't have a chance to flirt with him, which was a welcome change. She was very professional and respected boundaries. He hoped the other FAs would follow in her footsteps. Although this particular team was alright except for one. He already knew everyone there and some of them he called friends.

"This is the fifth time she's requested a switch," Martin remarked in exasperation. "I'm sorry for the poor girl who agreed to take her place. Who is it anyway?"

"The new girl," another FA answered. "Maine."

Maine?!?

Richard remembered a promise he made years ago to a girl with the same name.

"I will come back for you Maine, I promise..."

But he has yet to keep that promise. After Richard graduated in high school, he was lucky enough to have gotten a scholarship in UCLA. So instead of coming home with his parents as was the plan, he stayed in the US. He comes home during holidays but was unfortunate not to see Maine since her family usually took trips around the country.

It had been like that for years that he had already lost hope of ever meeting his twin brother's best friend. It was like Fate itself didn't want them to meet.

'I wonder how she is?' Richard thought. 'I never got to ask her parents what she took up in college.'

"Jase," his first officer and closest friend, Jerald, said as he waved his hand in front of him. "You okay, Cap? You're spacing out."

"Just when I was getting to the good part too," Sam, their reserve pilot and also his good friend, remarked.

"Sorry," Richard answered. "I couldn't help but overhear what the FAs are talking about."

"About Tanya?" Jerald replied with his face in a scowl. "I don't know what's wrong with the girl. She's been switching assignments all the time. So she gets extra days compared to the other FAs. I don't really know why they haven't reported her yet."

"Rumor has it," Sam added. "She has one of the managers wrapped up in her fingers...if you know what I mean. That's why she's still here. Anyone trying to attempt to tell on her would be sacked. Patricia said that had happened to Ria."

"Let's see if they can do that to Martin," Jerald replied. "Maybe finally, Tanya would meet her match."

"Anyone know the girl who's replacing her today?" Richard inquired casually as he didn't want his friends to know how curious he was.

"All I know is that she's recently been moved up from the local flights," Jerald answered. "Nice girl. Very sweet. I haven't heard any complaints from her team on the local flights and the team that just flew in yesterday."

"Do you know what she looked like?" Richard asked.

"If I didn't know you, Jase," Sam said, one eyebrow raised. "I'd say you're interested in the new girl."

Sam had noticed that although Richard dated around, he never took it up to the level of a real commitment. Just dinners and movies, and nothing more. He knew his friend wasn't gay but wondered why he never got into a real relationship.

"Well," he answered nonchalantly. "I am curious who Tanya's next victim was. The poor girl just got here too."

"Must be the reason why she's running a bit late too," Jerald remarked as he checked his watch. Like all flight staff, they would need to meet an hour before they proceeded to the gate. The FAs usually hold meetings that time as to their assignments and station during the flight. The pilots, like them, would be having their flight brief.

And as he was wondering about that as well, Richard felt her even before he saw her. He felt the sensation at the back of his neck. That same feeling he thought he would never feel anymore since his twin brother, Rich, died. That uncanny sensation that they shared as twins to know when the other half was near. He felt it once more and it was calling to him like a beacon, calling him home.

"I'm so sorry I'm late!"

Her voice had only slightly changed. It was deeper than what he remembered. But it was her, he was sure about it. He would never forget that voice.

When Richard finally turned to check the new arrival, his breath caught at the sight of her.

She looked amazing. She'd grown up into loveliness. Her long hair was neatly tied in a bun as what was standard in their crew. Her face was still as angelic as ever, her eyes still kept the strength she had for years. Her gait was energetic and despite her catching her breath, which worried him a bit, she had a ready smile on her lips. Those same lips that had haunted his dreams waiting for the day he would kiss her again.

"Maine," he whispered.