Chapter 54

"So, what else don't I know about the Faulkerson twins?"

The evening wore on with Richard and Maine swapping stories non-stop. Both of them were dressed for the night, with Maine wearing one of Richard's shirts that fell mid-thigh. Their team haven't returned yet and Ardee had not been answering Maine's calls or texts.

"What else don't you know?" Richard remarked. Both of them were leaning back on the headboard, pillows propped behind them, and the blanket covered them both up to their waist. "Rich and I almost loved the same things. We love the same books, the same movies and TV shows. We even liked the same girl."

He smirked as he said the last part and looked pointedly at Maine, which earned him a playful whack on the head by a pillow that Maine had been hugging. Richard laughed as he saw a blush formed on her face.

He continued when the laughter subsided, "although we both like to the same books, I read more than Rich. He played video games as a pastime rather than read. While I bring a book wherever I go, he'd have his PSP with him all the time. It annoyed him that I don't wear glasses with the amount of reading I do while he couldn't see anything without them.

"Our taste for music also varied. While I could listen to anything, he prefers alternative and pop rock. He was the more analytic between the both of us. He came in handy with Math and Science. I had a knack for languages and the arts. He's the health buff. I eat anything edible served to me. But then that was our parents's fault. Dad can't cook, so until I was able to learn myself, we had take out. Rich got lucky with that, mom is an amazing cook."

"You're right," she remarked. "Your mom is an amazing cook. Better than my mom. But don't tell her that, okay?"

"Tita Mary Anne makes very good paella," he said with a smile. "I remembered that she sent some to us one evening. I really enjoyed that."

"What about you?" Maine inquired and she turned to face him. She leaned one side of her head on the headboard as she continued, all focus was on him, "you said you learned how to cook. What dishes do you know?"

"I could make a mean spaghetti and meatballs," Richard replied proudly. "And a decent chicken-pork adobo. Other times, I had survived following a recipe and the food would turn out decent. My roommates back in UCLA could attest to that."

He saw Maine stifled a yawn, and her eyes began to droop. He checked the time and saw that it was already 11pm.

"Ardee still hasn't replied or called back?" He asked as he reached for his own phone to text Martin.

"No," she replied. "I think her phone died. What could be keeping them?"

"Well," he said. "My room is at the far end, so we may not have heard them come back. Just text Ardee that you'd be sleeping here so she wouldn't worry."

Maine raised an eyebrow in question and only then did Richard realized what he had just said.

"We have a buddy system," he explained quickly. His cheeks turned a bit pinkish. "Your buddy should know where you are, especially at this time when you're not with the group."

"Who's your buddy?"

"Who else?" He remarked with a smirk. "Martin."

"I'll text Ardee that I won't be sleeping in our room tonight," she stated. "And that I am safe."

Maine added the last statement with a smile. Richard smiled back and suddenly left the bed, pillow on one hand as he headed for the couch.

"Where are you going?"

"Couch."

"The bed is big enough for the both of us, RJ," Maine said as Richard started to settle on the couch. He had his jacket in hand, intending to use it as a blanket.

"I'm fine, Maine," Richard said. "Go get some sleep."

"But this is your room," Maine argued. "If anything, I should be the one sleeping on the couch."

"What kind of guy would I be if I let you sleep on the couch?"

Maine sighed loudly and gathered the blanket on the bed. Richard watched with eyebrows furrowed as she left the bed, blanket on hand and headed towards him.

"Scootch over," she stated.

"Why?"

"We're sharing the blanket," she replied. "Your jacket barely covers you and the couch is big enough for the both of us. So move."

"Maine - "

"We either share the couch or share the bed," she continued cutting him off. "That's your only option, Captain."

He just looked at her. Lost for words at what to say.

"What?" She said with one eyebrow raised in question. "Are you afraid that I might steal your virtue?"

"Oh how you test my willpower, Maine," Richard sighed and got off the couch. He stood up and grabbed Maine's hand and directed her back to the bed. They got settled and laid down on their side, facing each other.

"Happy?" Richard asked.

"Very," Maine replied with a smile. She snuggled underneath the covers, Richard was just watching her, looking amused.

"We could put a pillow between us if you feel that I might steal your innocence, RJ," she giggled.

Richard barked a laugh and replied, "I am anything but innocent, Maine."

To prove his point, he gave her a look that showed only too well how much his willpower was cracking. He looked at her lips, and wondered once more what it would taste like? Would she even respond if he kissed her? Would he be able to stop if she did?

Maine's heart was hammering on her chest. The look Richard was sending her was so full of desire that all he had to do was lean forward and kiss her. And with the look that he was giving her, she knew she wouldn't resist. She wondered how it would feel like to be kissed by him?

Richard knew he only had so much self control left. So he tried to think of something else before he wouldn't be able to stop himself anymore.

"I know I said I'll take you to a bookstore tomorrow," Richard suddenly said, dissipating any tension that was between them. "But would it be okay if we changed plans?"

"What do you have in mind?" She asked. There was a hint of disappointment on her voice.

"I want to take you to Rome," he replied.

Maine's eyes widen in surprise. She suddenly smiled brightly at the prospect of going to another part of Italy.

"Seriously?"

"Yeah," Richard affirmed. "Is it okay with you? We'll make a day out of it. There's a train that leaves here in Milan at 8am and it only takes about two hours to get there with that train. We can reach the Vatican in time for the 1130am mass and then we'll go around."

"Thank you, RJ!" Maine exclaimed. Her eyes danced with excitement at the idea of seeing Rome.

"Try to get some sleep," he said. "We'll have a full day ahead of us."

"Can I ask for one more song?" She asked.

"What song?"

"Central Park," she replied. "I only got to hear the end part back at the pub."

Richard smiled and replied, "I thought you'd never ask."

He stood and took the guitar from the table. He came back, sat at the edge of the bed and began to sing the song that was solely meant for her.