Chapter 44

Richard was finished with his cold shower and was in his pajamas when Rio emerged from Alden's room, basin in hand as well as the clothes that Maine wore that evening. She gently closed the door behind her, as Richard stood by the door waiting for her.

"She's still asleep," Rio whispered. "Her temperature's fine and I see no symptoms that you mentioned that the doctor said to watch out for. Let her sleep, Jase. You should too."

"I will in a bit," he replied. "There's a song stuck in my head. I just need to write it down. You should get some sleep too, mom. Dad can let himself in. He has a key. Thank you for taking care of Maine."

"Jase," she said as she placed a comforting hand on his arm. "Take it slow. Let her see you as Jase and not a replacement for Alden."

Richard kept silent as his mother continued softly, "you like Maine. I know you do. Don't try to deny it, it's all over your face."

"Is it really that obvious?" Richard muttered under his breath that made his mother giggle.

"Maybe," she answered with a smile. "But I'm your mother, I know these things. The fact that you let her call you 'RJ' is one proof. I can't even call you that. And the fact that you've acted like a hormonal teenager a while ago is another testament to that. But just take it slow. Let her get to know you as you. Don't be hurt when she would compare you to your brother, because that's bound to happen, Sweetheart. And don't try too much. Let it fall into place. Be patient with her. She'll see you eventually."

"What if she doesn't?" He asked worriedly.

His mother placed her hand on his chest near his heart. She replied, "she will. Her heart will tell her that. The same way your heart is already screaming her name. Besides, she has your brother's heart. You have that advantage for you."

"I actually see that more as a disadvantage," Richard muttered. "I mean, what if Rich doesn't want me for Maine?"

"Jase," Rio reached out and placed a hand on his son's cheek. "Your brother loves both you and Maine. I'm sure he'll approve."

"I hope you're right, mom," he said, but still there was doubt in his eyes.

"I know I'm right," she smiled warmly at her son. "I'm always right about these things."

Richard bent down to kiss his mom on the cheek and said, "I love you, mom. You go get some sleep now."

"You get some sleep too."

"Just one song mom," he remarked. "Then I'll sleep. I promise."

"Try not to wake Maine up, okay?"

"Yes, mom."

Richard watched as his mother head downstairs. Then he entered his room to get his guitar and phone, and went next door to Alden's room. The bedside lamp was on and he saw Maine in his shirt, fast asleep. But he noticed that her eyebrows were furrowed, like she wasn't having a good dream. He sat at the edge of the bed, opened the recording app on his phone and hit record, and started strumming softly.

🎶If I could fly, I'd be coming right back home to you
I think I might give up everything, just ask me to
Pay attention, I hope that you listen cause I let my guard down
Right now I'm completely defenseless

For your eyes only, I show you my heart
For when you're lonely and forget who you are
I'm missing half of me when we're apart
Now you know me, for your eyes only
For your eyes only

I've got scars, even though they can't always be seen
And pain gets hard, but now you're here and I don't feel a thing
Pay attention, I hope that you listen cause I let my guard down
Right now I'm completely defenseless

For your eyes only, I show you my heart
For when you're lonely and forget who you are
I'm missing half of me when we're apart
Now you know me, for your eyes only
For your eyes only

I can feel your heart inside of mine
(I feel it, I feel it)
I've been going out of my mind
(I feel it, I feel it)
Know that I'm just wasting time
And I

Hope that you don't run from me
For your eyes only,
I show you my heart
For when you're lonely
And forget who you are
I'm missing half of me
When we're apart
Now you know me, for your eyes only

For your eyes only, I show you my heart
For when you're lonely and forget who you are
I'm missing half of me when we're apart
Now you know me, for your eyes only
For your eyes only
For your eyes only🎶

Richard reached for the phone and stopped the recording. He looked at Maine and saw her face relaxed. Carefully placing his guitar on the floor, he reached out to feel Maine's head and neck. He sighed in relief to know that she didn't have any fever and no other symptoms emerged. Richard heard her sigh as he placed a hand on her cheek caressing it.

"One day, Maine," he whispered. "You'll get to hear these songs again. And you'll know they're from me. I honestly hope it would be soon."

He bent down and placed a soft kiss on her forehead. Maine sighed once more and a shadow of a smile formed on her lips.

"Gravity pulls..." Richard muttered, and instantly realized that another song was forming in his head.

He slowly picked up his guitar and stood up about to leave the room so he could write down the lyrics in his head to his notebook. Suddenly, he heard Maine sigh once more and spoke softly, "RJ..."

Shocked, Richard quickly turned to see if she woke up, only to be disappointed that she was fast asleep. But his heart skipped with gladness that at least this once, she might be dreaming of him.

-oo-

Author's Note: Song used today is "If I Could Fly" by One Direction from their Album "Made in the A.M." released in 2015.