Chapter 36

Maine just got off the phone with her parents. She just informed them that she was home and that she already met Richard.

"Why didn't you tell me about him?" She asked her mom during their phone conversation.

"It wasn't the right time, baby," her mom replied. Her voice was shaking, like she was caught doing something wrong.

"He would have helped me when Alden died," Maine remarked. "I would have helped him with his grief as well."

"Maine," she heard Ted's voice. "You and Jason don't see it now but look at it in a different perspective. Your bestfriend just died and you see someone who looks exactly like him. You needed to grieve. And seeing Jason that time would not make you grieve properly. You would see Jason as Alden. And that wouldn't be fair to either boys."

Maine thought about that and remembered that she did indeed mistaken RJ for Alden. Would it really happened that way if they've met when Alden died?

"You could have at least told me that Alden had a brother," Maine retorted. "It was very awkward seeing him for the first time."

"We're sorry, baby," Mary Anne said. "But at that time, we had decided that it was the right thing to do for everyone. How is Jason by the way?"

"He's fine," she replied. "He's a pilot and captain of our flight team. I just hope that I get to stay with his team on this rotation. The new team is really great and very helpful."

"That's good," Ted remarked. "At least he can look out for you while you're with his team."

"Give our love to the Faulkersons when you see them," Mary Anne said. "Would you be okay on your own? We can have Vangie there tomorrow, if you want."

"It's okay, mom," Maine replied. "Let ate Vangie stay there for a few days. She must miss her family. I'll be fine. There are a lot of left over in the fridge and I can cook my own grub while you're away. I'll be the only one eating it so no worries about other people getting food poisoning." She added, recalling the time she tried cooking for her family but ended a disaster.

"If you're sure," her mother said. "If you need anything, just don't hesitate to call. And I'm sure the Faulkersons would be there to help you out if you need it. I'll call Rio to let her know that you're home."

"I know," said Maine. "I love you both! Good night!"

"Good night!"

Maine was too tired to cook her own dinner tonight so she decided to just heat up the left over. She decided to unpack the next day, so she just took a quick shower and headed for bed. As she lied down, she saw her half of the two-way radio. Reaching for it, she turned it on.

"Hey Alden!" She started as she clicked the talk button. "You've got a lot of explaining to do."