Chapter 26

Once back inside Alden's room, Jason started pacing. He was confused. He knew he liked Maine, but he never would have expected that his feelings for her would increased the more he stayed. The moment he felt her soft hand reciprocated his gesture, his heart lurched and it brought him hope. That there was a chance she might know him too.

He looked at his twin, lying on his bed with monitors attached to his body. He sighed and massaged his temples.

"Would you hate me for the rest of our lives if I pursued her too, Rich?" He asked and shook his head at the thought. "What am I saying? Forget I said that, Rich. I would never do that to you."

He sat down on the chair beside Alden's bed, took a deep breathe and let it out slowly, "You were right. You can't help but like her. She does have that silent strength in her. But Rich, you've got to wake up. Come on! She needs you. Maine needs you by her side right now. I can't do it for you anymore. I would gladly push my feelings for her aside if you would just open your eyes! Come on Bro! Just let me know you're still in there somewhere! Please!"

Tears fell as Jason held his brother's hand tightly, trying to get a reaction from him. But there was still nothing.

It was at that moment that their parents arrived.

"Jase," Rio greeted. "Are you alright? Did something happened to Alden?"

Jason quickly wiped his tears and stood to help out his parents with some of the items they've brought from home. He answered, "Rich is fine. He hasn't responded. But I just came from the other room. Maine isn't doing too good. She...uh...her heart stopped but Doc Burnz was able to revive her. But he also said that if they couldn't find a compatible heart soon, she only has weeks."

Rio gasped as she reached out for her husband who was there ready to hold her.

"Mary Anne must be devastated," she muttered.

But all thought of Maine vanished when Alden's monitors started beeping and his heart suddenly flatlined.

"Oh my God!" Rio exclaimed. "What's happening?"

Jason immediately pressed the call button and ran outside for help. Immediately, nurses rushed in to respond. It was like dejavu, but this time it was happening to Alden.

They were led outside as Dr. Cariño came rushing in giving out instructions to the nurses present. Jason saw how his dad held his mom on a tight embrace similar to what he had witnessed with the Mendozas earlier.

"No," he cried. "This can't be happening! Rich!"

He tried to rush back inside Alden's room but a pair of hands held him where he stood. He tried to struggle but the arms that got him held him tighter. It was Mr. Mendoza. They heard the commotion outside and checked it out. They were quick to assist the same way Jason had for them earlier.

"Rich!" Jason screamed. "Damn it! Don't you dare leave me like this! Don't you dare leave me!"

Inside, they could hear the doctor barked out orders.

"Raise it to 130...Alright...clear!!! Again...clear!!!"

There was so much confusion around them and Jason kept on struggling from Ted's hold.

"Easy, son," he heard Ted said. "Let the staff do their job. There is nothing you can do but pray for your brother now."

Jason stopped struggling and looked up at Ted. For the first time Ted saw a vulnerable teenage boy. When he first arrived, Jason was so composed and in control. He kept strong for his parents so that they wouldn't worry about him too. He showed how responsible he was and he tried to comfort everyone around him, including Ted and his wife. But right now, the facade is slowly cracking, the calm demeanor vanished and here was a boy desperate to see his brother awake.

"He's not gonna make it, is he?" He whispered as tears rolled down his face.

"Don't say that, son," Ted replied. Although Jason has stopped struggling, he still kept a hold on both his arms. "He'll be fine. He'll make it."

But Jason didn't believe it. Already his heart was aching as if a part of him was slowly slipping away. There was a sense of detachment to the person that they were trying to revive inside. As twins, they had that uncanny sense of knowing where the other pair was even if they were far apart. But Jason couldn't feel his brother anymore. He knew it even before Dr. Cariño came out of the room, looking forlorn. Alden was gone.

"Mr. and Mrs. Faulkerson," Dr. Cariño said. "We did everything we could to revive your son. But his brain ceased to function and his heart gave out. I'm very sorry to say that Alden's gone. We're very sorry for your loss."

Jason heard his mother cry out her sorrow. Mary Anne stood beside her friend weeping silently. Rick held his wife in a tight embrace as he shed his own tears for the loss of his son. Jason stood, paralyzed and numbed. He just couldn't believe that his brother was gone. There was now a void in his heart that no one could fill.

"What about my brother's heart?"

"His heart?"

"Is my brother's heart a suitable candidate as a donor?" He asked. "There's girl in the other room who desperately needs a heart. Is Rich a viable candidate?"

"Jason..."

"Mom," he remarked in between sobs. "Rich would have wanted this. He cares so much for Maine. He gave his life for her, I know it. He was unresponsive until he heard Maine only had weeks. He was willing to give his heart for her. He kept his heart strong for her so when she really needed it, he willingly gave himself to her. Please mom! Rich would want this. Please."

Rio looked at Rick and the latter only shrugged. Rio then asked Dr. Cariño, "is it possible, Doc?"

"Is that what you really want?" The doctor asked.

Jason's parents nodded in reply.

"I'll get in touch with Dr. Vega immediately so he can test if Alden's heart is a viable candidate. I'll inform you immediately of the results." He replied. "Again, I am truly sorry for your loss. But if Alden can be a match for Maine, then he could live on in her. Such a life would not be wasted."

The doctor took his leave afterwards.

"Rio," Mary Anne started as the two families were left alone. "Are you sure?"

"Jason's right," Rio answered. "Alden would have wanted this. Let's hope and pray that his heart is compatible to hers."

"Thank you."

Jason left the adults as he approached the body of his twin. Now taken out of the monitors, there weren't any wires or tubes that were attached to him. He looked peaceful now.

"You idiot," Jason said his tears started to fall once more. "I told you to forget what I said earlier. I also told you that I will forget about her. So why didn't you just open your eyes! I don't want this, Rich! Why can't you have been selfish for once in your life?"

Jason took his brother's hand for the final time and placed in on his chest near his heart. He took a deep breath, let it out slowly and then said, "this heart beats for the both of us now. I hope I'll make you proud, Rich."