Chapter 32

He caught her before she hit the floor. Richard cradled her in his arms as the people around them started to panic. It was a good thing Martin was there, as he took charge of the situation immediately.

"George," he ordered. "There's a hand towel in that drawer, grab it and soak it in water. Valeen, go out and see if we need to be at the boarding area already. If we need to be, stall for time. The rest of you, sit down and give them some space. Jason, try to open up the top buttons of Maine's blouse."

"Wait...What?"

"This is not the time for your green mind to work, Faulkerson," Martin remarked in exasperation. "She needs ventilation. Her clothes are restricting. She needs air."

Richard reluctantly did as he was told, unbuttoning the top three buttons of her blouse. George returned and handed him the towel. Richard dabbed it on her face and her neck and the exposed part of her chest. He saw the scar from her operation as he dabbed the towel gently.

"What did you do to her, Jase?" Sam asked as he knelt beside his friend.

"I didn't do anything," he retorted.

"Who's Alden?"

Richard hesitated before answering with a sigh, "my twin brother. Her best friend."

"You have a twin?"

"Had a twin," Richard corrected, emphasizing on the word "had", a scowl formed on his face. "He's gone now."

Sam knew that it was the end of their conversation, so he stood to give them room. Richard's attention went back to Maine as he felt her stir in his arms. Her eyes slowly opened and Richard was caught mesmerized by her brown orbs.

"Maine?" He whispered.

She met his eyes and her eyes widen in surprise.

"Easy," he said softly as he felt her stiffen under his hold. "I'm not gonna hurt you."

Maine calmed down a bit. She looked at him and studied his face. She frowned as she reached out to touch the small scar on his right cheek.

"You're not my Alden," she remarked. "Who are you?"

"I - "

"Jason?" They heard Martin call as he approached them, stopping any type of conversation between them. Without a word, Richard helped her to a sitting position but he kept his hand on her back for support. "Oh, good. You're awake, Maine. Jason, can you help her up to the chair there?"

Richard eased her into a standing position and let her lean on him for support. He could feel that she was hesitant but she allowed him to support her. Taking on her full weight, he half-carried her to the chair that Martin indicated and sat her down. He then moved away to let Martin check on her as she tried to fix her blouse.

"You're not my Alden."

There was a pang of hurt when Richard heard her say those words. She missed Alden, that much was obvious. It was the same for him after all. There wasn't a moment when he didn't think of his brother and he figured that Maine was the same as well.

"I'm afraid to ask this Maine," he heard Martin say as the head FA was checking up on his charge. "But, can you work this flight today? The plane is a bit full so I really need to know if we can rely on you for this."

"Yes sir, I mean ma'am," Maine immediately answered. "I'm sorry. It was just a bit of a shock to see that man. I'm fine. Really, I am."

That man. There was another pang of hurt at those words. Richard frowned. 'She doesn't remember,' he thought in dismay. Then he mentally whacked himself, 'of course he doesn't remember, RJ. She was unconscious that time.'

"That man?" Martin wondered and he quickly looked at Richard, who was looking a Maine worriedly. "Oh, you mean Captain Jason? Do the two of you know each other?"

"Um..."

"Is she alright, Martin?" Richard asked, getting Martin's attention. He saw how uncomfortable Maine was becoming with the inquiry, that he needed to distract the head FA.

Martin approached him and pulled him aside taking sidelong glances at Maine who was being assisted by Abbie and Ardee. His co-pilots were hovering but was keeping their distance, just making sure that everything was fine in their team. They kept looking at her and then at him, wanting to ask questions but they kept silent. Richard was sure that they would barrage him with questions once they're in the cockpit.

"Jason," Martin started. "Will I be having problems with you on this flight?"

"Martin," replied Richard with a hint of teasing in his voice. "When have I ever been a problem to you?"

Head FAs never really rotate. They stay with the captain and first officer in wherever flight they were assigned to. They only change when they request a transfer. Martin had been Richard's head FA since Richard was promoted to captain for the airlines. At first, Martin was afraid that Richard was the type of pilot who played around with the FAs. But it was a refreshing surprise to him when Richard kept his professionalism. He was nice and friendly with the female flight attendants, but he never moved beyond that. It was Jerald whom he had a problem with in the beginning. It was a good thing Valeen kept him straight when they started dating.

Martin and Richard became close over the years they've been working together. Richard saw an older brother (well in this case, an older sister) in Martin, and Martin was the same with him.

So Martin knew Richard too well, that he noticed the sudden change in him when he saw Maine. There was something different about his demeanor when the new girl was introduced.

"You will explain to me everything when we're back in Manila," Martin stated. It wasn't a request and Richard knew too well how persistent the head FA could be. So he just nodded an affirmative.

"I do have one request though," Richard said as Martin was about to turn away. Martin looked back and cocked his head on the side to indicate for him to go on. "Can you assign Maine at the first class section? So that she'll be near the front? You usually handle first class. I just need to make sure she's fine on her first day with the team. I know you assign newbies at the back but just this once. Please?"

"Fine," he answered with a smirk. "And as a sign of good will, I'll make sure Tanya doesn't come back to this team in this rotation. I'm keeping Maine. I think I'm going to like her. She has spunk."

"Yes she does," Richard smiled as he watched Martin take control of his team once more and assign them their duties for the flight.

Richard glanced at Maine who was being fussed over by the other FAs, checking if she was indeed fine. He noticed that she was a bit uncomfortable. She didn't like the attention. He wished that he could rewind the time. That wasn't how he wanted their first meeting to be. He sighed and shook his head. 'I'll do better next time,' he thought to himself. 'I never wanted to be your Alden, Maine. But I'd hoped that one day I can be your RJ.'

He started towards Jerald and Sam to discuss their flight path.

-oo-

Author's note: Just a disclaimer. I don't really know if the pilots and FAs have rotations or schedules. I don't work in any airline companies and have very little knowledge of the industry. So this is all me...sorry for the inaccuracies.