Chapter 51

When Richard's song ended, he stood up with a flourish and bowed down to an audience so captivated that they gave him a standing ovation. The crowd continued to cheer, asking for an encore. But Richard shook his head, telling them that he doesn't have anymore songs to play.

"Maybe when I come back next time," he said as he went off the stage to the bar. There he was met by Gian Carlo with a mug of warm cider. The next performer was already on the stage, getting ready to perform.

"Next time, bring your la fidanzata," said Gian Carlo.

"I don't have a girlfriend," he replied as he sip his cider. But his mind darted to Maine at the mention of a significant other.

"Well, she will be soon," Gian Carlo remarked with conviction. "Any girl would want you for writing songs about her. She would be crazy not to keep you."

Richard just shook his head and laughed. He suddenly wondered where Maine and his flight team were having dinner. Then he felt it again, that uncanny sensation at the back of his neck. He felt it while he was singing the end part of "Central Park" but the dim pub prevented him from seeing his audience. He suddenly worried if Maine was indeed there. What would she have thought of his performance? For sure she would have remembered the first original song he sang to her. She'd thought it was Alden singing that time. Would she eventually put two and two together? How would she feel about it?

He looked about the pub once more and he finally spotted them at a corner table, ordering dinner.

"Maine?" He muttered as he saw Maine at the very corner. Gian Carlo noticed him looking at the group.

But he saw her stand and whispered to Martin. It looked like Martin was trying to stop her, but finally relented. He saw Maine waved to the others and headed out the pub.

"Maine!" Richard shouted as he suddenly stood. With a quick wave to Gian Carlo, he rushed off the pub and went after her. He no longer heard the cheers of the crowd and Gian Carlo's shout of encouragement.

-oo-

Maine's head was reeling from this new discovery. Everything has now fallen into place but although she felt happy, she was also confused.

Why didn't Richard tell her? Was that the secret he wanted to keep from her?

She wondered about it that she had stopped paying attention to the group. She saw Richard approached the bar and the bartender, who was apparently the owner, Gian Carlo, patted him on the shoulder and gave him a mug of a hot beverage. They chatted a bit and she saw him laugh. She smiled as she saw how happy he was. The gleam in his eyes were evident. She wondered how she can keep that smile on him all the time.

Maine suddenly felt tired. It was a full day and with everything that she had found out, she just felt overwhelmed. She stood and went over to Martin, telling him that she would just go back to their hotel.

"Aren't you going to have dinner?" Martin asked, concern etched in his voice.

"I'm not really hungry, Martin," she replied. "I'll just grab a sandwich at a deli."

"If you're sure," Martin said, still a bit concerned.

"Yes," she answered. "You guys enjoy the rest of the night."

With a wave to the rest of the team, she headed out the door of the pub. She didn't know that Richard saw her leave and called out. She didn't hear the crowd cheered for the guy who came running after her, and the hoots and shouts of encouragement that came from their team.

-oo-

Richard rushed out the door and checked the sidewalks for Maine. He spotted her walking back towards their hotel.

"Maine!" He called and came running after her.

Maine was once again at odds with herself whether to stop or keep walking. She wanted answers but she also didn't know if she was ready for those answers. Her heart thudded in her chest when Richard suddenly grabbed her arm, stopping her.

"Hey," he said with a smile. "What's the rush?"

"Nothing," she replied. "I was just really tired. I was heading back to the hotel."

Richard suddenly frowned and began to worry. He reached out and felt her forehead.

"Are you sure you're just tired?" He said. "Have you eaten dinner yet?"

"No," she answered. "I don't feel like eating yet. I was just planning to get a sandwich at that deli we passed by."

"Hold that thought," Richard remarked as he fished out his phone and called someone.

Maine heard him speak in Italian and was amazed how knowledgeable he was of the language. He ended the call and five minutes later, the owner of the pub came out with a brown paper bag in his hands. Richard raised his arm to get his attention.

"Grazie, Gian Carlo," he said as the man handed him the paper bag.

"Prego, Ricardo," Gian Carlo replied and looked at Maine with a smile.

Richard reached out and wrapped an arm on Maine's shoulders and said, "Gian Carlo, this is Maine. Maine, Gian Carlo. He's the owner of the pub."

Maine reached out to shake his hand but the older man brought her hand to his lips. She felt Richard grip on her shoulder tighten and discreetly pulled her away. Gian Carlo noticed this and laughed. He let go of Maine's hand and smiled at her once more.

"I see that you have indeed found her, Ricardo," he said, noting how possessive his arm was draped over Maine's shoulder. He then turned to her and added, "he is lucky to have you as his Muse. Do not let him go. Or you will regret it, mio caro. Now off with the both of you. Make good music together."

Maine just smiled as she didn't know how to respond. Gian Carlo turned and headed back to his pub, leaving Maine and Richard alone once more. Richard's arm didn't leave her shoulder but his grip had loosened since the pub owner left. She found it comforting and unconsciously leaned her head to his shoulder.

"You are tired," Richard said as worry crept in his voice. "Come on. Let's get you back to the hotel. I know you have so many questions."