Chapter 75

The Mendozas and the Faulkersons were together in Rick's SUV for their celebratory lunch. Richard was driving with Maine in shot-gun. Their parents were at the back with Mary Anne and Rio sitting together while Ted and Rick were paired up. Their trip was filled with stories being passed back and forth by there mothers, with their dads adding some info that their wives missed out. Richard and Maine would just look at each other and share an identical expression, the look of embarrassment for all the humiliating stories their parents remembered about their childhood.

Maine did notice however that whenever the Faulkersons would tell stories about Richard, they were wary whenever they mentioned Alden's name. She would peek at Richard and she would see a haunted look in his eyes. She would see him smile a bit, recalling the adventures he shared with his brother but the sadness was there, still embedded deep in his heart.

But it was clear to the couple that both pairs of parents were happy as they never stopped teasing both Maine and Richard of their relationship. Mary Anne and Rio most of all for they were very ecstatic, already thinking of weddings and babies.

Pleasant conversations flowed during lunch, and both Maine and Richard could see what their family would be like years from now. The friendship that they kept all these years have evolved, they're a family.

Whenever possible, Richard kept hold of Maine's hand from under their table. Resting it on his lap and every so often giving it a comforting squeeze. They shared a secret smile as Richard attended to Maine's needs while listening to their parents telling stories or plans of future outings together.

"Don't you two have a longer break coming?" Mary Anne asked over dessert and coffee.

"What do you have in mind, mom?" Maine replied before taking a bite of the cake that she shared with Richard.

"An overnight trip," she suggested. "Maybe in Batangas?"

"The next long off-time that we have would be before the next rotation when Martin's experiment starts," Richard explained. "But the team was already planning on an overnight since Ardee will be promoted next rotation. We're giving her a farewell party of sorts."

"We are?"

"Martin's idea," he replied quickly. "He said he'd handle everything. He just told me the gist."

"Do you think we can join in that excursion of yours?" Rio asked with a smile.

"Mom," Richard gave her an incredulous look. "I really don't think any of my team would be bringing their parents with them."

"I think we're the only ones in our team who still lives with their parents," Maine added with a short chuckle.

"Hmm...maybe we should start thinking of moving out," Richard joked, earning him a slap on the shoulder from his mother.

"You do that," Rio said sternly. "We will disown you."

"Don't worry, Jase," Mary Anne said. "Rio was just teasing. How can we expect you to start making our grandchildren if we're there?"

"Mom!"

"Mary Anne!"

"Ooh...I like that even better, Me-Anne," Rio quipped.

"Don't give the kids ideas, dear," Rick sighed.

"What have we gotten ourselves into?" Richard whispered, leaning his head towards Maine so only she could hear.

Maine only laughed and reached for his hand to give it a comforting squeeze.

They left the restaurant afterwards and they roamed around the mall like any normal family would. They were inside a shop where their parents were checking out a particular merchandise that they like when Maine pulled Richard aside.

"Can you drop me off at Alden's on our way home?" She asked.

Richard nodded then asked, "do you want me to come with you, Heart?"

Maine shook her head in response then added, "It's my turn to spend time with my bestfriend. I hope you don't mind."

"Not at all," he smiled as he reached her her hand and kissed the back of her palm. "Spend as much time as you want with Rich. I'm sure he'd like that."

"Just drop me off then bring our parents home," she said. "Then come pick me up afterwards. I'm sure that by the time you come back, I'll be done."

"Great," he agreed. "Then, can I take you to dinner afterwards?"

"Our first official date as a couple," Maine smiled at the thought. "Great idea, Home."