Chapter 40

"RJ," Maine said softly. "Are you okay? You spaced out. Martin was trying to get your attention for the longest time."

"Sorry," he answered with a chuckle. "I guess I'm still jet lagged. What were you saying, Martin?"

"You get jet lagged?" Martin asked with one eyebrow raised in question. "Since when?"

"Is that why you were trying to get my attention?" Richard remarked trying to return to the original conversation.

Understanding that he didn't want to talk about his lapse of attention, Martin replied, "Maine mentioned that you guys are neighbors. I told her to just go with you later. So, you don't need to bring me home. I've asked David to pick me up. So, you youngsters have fun and I'll see you tomorrow."

"Tomorrow?" Maine asked.

"Jase will tell you," Martin stated as he stood up. "It's good to meet you, Reese. I hope I'll see you again. Text me that kimchi recipe, please. I want to try making some myself."

"No problem," Reese replied with a smile as she stood up as well. "I'll text it to you immediately once I found the recipe."

"And you, Jase," Martin turned to Richard. "Thanks for lunch. I'll give you an update on what happened to you-know-who."

Richard smiled and waved to his friend who was hastily retreating from the restaurant. Maine's friend, Reese, remained standing with her phone in her hand.

"I also need to go, Maine," Marilou said her eyes not leaving her phone.

"I thought we were watching a movie?"

"Change of plans," she replied looking at her, her face remorseful. "I'm so sorry. My brother kept on texting me. He needed my help with something and he claims that it couldn't wait. Raincheck?"

Maine smiled and answered, "sure. We'll be back next week. I hope, it's still showing when we get back though."

A few more words were exchanged and then Reese left, leaving Richard and Maine at their table. There was an awkward silence between the two before Richard called for the check and they left together. They walked around the mall, they were still silent with their thoughts to themselves.

"Do you still want to watch that movie?" Richard asked, breaking the silence as they were walking around with no real destination in mind. "I could join you."

Maine smiled shyly and Richard noticed a blush forming on her cheeks. She vigorously shook her head in reply. Richard found it adorable, but he was curious at what movie she wanted to watch but didn't want him to join her. 'It's only a movie after all, right?' He thought.

It was at that moment when they passed by the cinemas that Richard figured it out.

"You wanted to watch 'Fifty Shades Darker'," he said with a smile as he looked at Maine for confirmation.

Maine for her part, covered her face with both her hands, looking totally embarrassed. Richard could only laugh at her expression. He gently tried to pry her hands away from her face.

"You're right," he said. "It's not an appropriate movie for two friends to watch."

"We're friends?"

"Aren't we?" Richard asked seriously.

Maine looked at Richard's hopeful face. She took a few moments before she smiled and answered, "yes. We're friends. I think even before we've met, we're already friends."

Richard gave his bedimpled smile that Maine thought she would never see anymore. But she noticed with Richard, when the smile reaches his eyes, it looked like soft chocolate. She could easily get lost in them.