Chapter 111

"RJ...wake up!"

Richard woke up with a start. He was heaving and cold sweat trickled down his forehead. Maine was sitting beside him, her arm outstretched on his back, hand rubbing his back slowly in an up and down motion.

He immediately turned to her and reached out, pulling her to him. He wrapped his arms around her in a tight embrace. He rested his head on the crook of her neck and breathe deeply, inhaling her scent.

"I'm sorry."

They never settled anything before they went to bed. Richard just tucked her in when her eyes were already drooping, tired from crying. It was their first real disagreement, and the couple really didn't like it. It was the first night they slept together with a gap between them.

Richard didn't get a good night's sleep as he kept tossing and turning. When he eventually fell asleep, his dream brought him back into that moment of Alden's accident. Something that only happened once after his initial experience.

Maine returned his embrace, her hand still rubbing his back in an up and down motion to soothe the tension.

"It's okay," she whispered. "We're okay. I'm right here, my Home."

Richard took another deep breath and let it out slowly. Having Maine in his arms relaxed him somewhat. Maine never let go as she cooed soothing words to him.

"I'm sorry."

"Home?"

"I'm sorry," he repeated a third time as he slowly pulled back to face her. "I shouldn't have said those things awhile back. I just love you too much."

Maine didn't reply, but kissed him gently on his cheek. She laid back down on the bed, propping some pillows behind her so her upper body was a bit elevated and drew him to her. Richard laid down on her stomach facing her as Maine ran her fingers through his hair, relaxing him even more. He finally gave a contented sigh and took the hand brushing his hair, kissing the palm affectionately.

"I love you," he said. "If nothing else, please believe in that."

"I love you too," she replied softly. "I never doubted that."

He breathe in deeply and let it out slowly while Maine caressed his cheek. They were silent for a time, getting back the connection they've temporarily lost from their disagreement.

"I like this," Richard suddenly said.

"Hmm?"

"Lying here like this," he said. "I like it. It feels like I'm trying to hear our baby's heartbeat."

"Home?" Maine looked at him with renewed hope.

He looked at her with residual fear in his eyes but there was something else.

"If we do this," he said slowly. "We have to get it right. There are no second chances here."

Maine nodded but kept silent.

"We will follow Doc's orders to the letter," he said. "No questions asked. No arguments."

"Okay."

"Any meds that you need to take, you take it. No hesitation, no complaints."

"No hesitation?"

"No hesitation."

"Fine," Maine relented but there was a shadow of a smile that crept on her face.

"Bed rest is bed rest," he continued. "If I have to strap you down the bed, I'll do it."

"You don't need to strap me to the bed," she remarked. "You just need to buy me a bookstore."