Chapter 50

"Where did Jerald say they were?" Martin asked Valeen as they left the theatre after watching "Fifty Shades Darker".

When the movie was about to end, Jerald had been sending Valeen a series of text messages that claimed to be urgent. He texted their location and said that they need to hurry. Martin was curious since Jerald never mentioned the reason why they needed to be at this pub called "Gian Carlos". All he said in his texts to Valeen was that they needed to hurry or they will miss something surprising.

The group was a bit shock to find themselves in front of a small pub that seemed to be full. Tom was outside waiting for them.

"Guys," he called. "Hurry! You're missing a lot! Maine, this will be such a treat for you."

They entered the pub and was welcomed by the strumming of a guitar in an amazingly silent room, although there were patches of people singing along softly. The uncanny sensation at the back of her neck was back, she knew then that Richard was in the room somewhere. Maine caught the melody and was shocked to recognize the song and the voice of the person singing it.

🎶...I'm in the dark, and there's a light that's shining
In Central Park, where all the ghosts are hiding
This city spark starts to fade...🎶

Maine turned to the stage to see Richard playing the guitar and singing the song she had always thought was made by Alden. She stared at him, shocked to see him on the stage singing a song that was meant for her. Abbie pulled her to their table when she didn't move from where she stood. Once seated, Maine continued to stare, unable to take her eyes off him. He looked comfortable up there, playing a song that he seemed to have played several times in front of an audience.

🎶...And as sure as gravity pulling us down
I'll always be around
I'll always be around...🎶

The song ended and everyone clapped. There was a group that kept yelling for more. Maine somehow felt a sense of pride when she heard the crowd cheered.

"That was actually his fourth song," Sam reported as they continued to clap and cheer. "That last song was a crowd favorite. They kept yelling 'Central Park' until finally, the Captain obliged. He said that it was written for someone special so long ago. Whoever that was is very lucky. The song was beautiful."

"Ricardo," a big jolly looking man called from the bar. "One more song if you please."

When the cheers died down, Maine noticed that Richard, with eyebrows furrowed, was looking around the room searching for something...or someone. She knew that he was searching for her. He must have felt the uncanny sensation that she was feeling too. It was really lucky that Jerald chose the table in the corner so they wouldn't be easily seen. She tried to keep low, bowing her head so he wouldn't notice her. It also helped that the pub was dimly lit, that it was hard to see the back from the stage.

"Ricardo?" The bartender called again.

Richard turned to the man and smiled. He said, "sorry, Gian Carlo. Yes, I do have one more song to play."

Without any other introduction or fanfare, he started strumming again. His eyes were closed and started singing.

🎶I've lost my balance
I fell from the trapeze
This act isn't easy
I've been under water
This storm has been raging
These nights are not sleeping
My dreams are now strangers to me

And I need you now
There's too many miles on my bones
I can't carry the weight of the world
No, not on my own

Your eyes are like lightning
Your voice is like water
This place is a desert

I've been walking in circles
I'm screaming for answers
I might fall into pieces
Or maybe I'm finally breaking through

I need you now
There's too many miles on my bones
I can't carry the weight of the world
No, not on my own

No more running, no more hiding
No more hurting, no more crying
No more trouble, no more sighing
No more falling, no more striving
No more heartache, no more fighting
No more fears, only flying...

Only flying....🎶

Althroughout the song, Maine was mesmerized. She couldn't take her eyes off Richard as he sang. She remembered that the lyrics was in his notebook. She found it near the end. So it must be a fairly new composition as the pub's clientele were silent, some of them tapping their fingers on the table to the beat. Some bobbed their head slowly. While there were others in tears, touched by the meaning of the song. She peeked at her companions and saw Martin wiping his eyes discreetly, while Jerald and Sam were bobbing their head to the slow beat. She saw some of the girls sighing as they stared at Richard with admiration. Raqz whispered to her how lucky she was, which Maine just smiled for an answer.

While Maine watched Richard perform, everything fell into place. The reason why Alden only played through the two-way radio. When he played, the sound was far away like the song was coming from a radio or a CD player. And then there were his excuses. He kept telling her that he lent his guitar to a friend, or he needed to restring it. Or how he keeps veering away from the conversation whenever she wanted him to sing.

Now she figured out why Alden never sang to her when they were together. It was Richard who was singing for her all the time. It had always been Richard who played songs for her when she wasn't feeling well. It was Richard who sang to her when she was unconscious at the hospital. It was always Richard. Her RJ.

She was startled by her claim. But she couldn't deny it. She didn't even think that she wanted to deny it. He was her RJ.

Her heart beat fast as he finished the song. The feeling that she had awhile ago was back. She couldn't explain the feeling. But she knew she was happy, yet scared at the same time. She placed a hand on her chest near her heart.

'Is this what you want to tell me, Alden?' She thought as she kept her eyes on Richard. A smile never leaving face.

-oo-

Author's Note:
Today's song is "Flight" by Lifehouse from their "Out Of The Wasteland" album released in 2015. So, you can check out the video for the music if you're not familiar with the song. 😊