Chapter 27

Sure enough, when Alden's heart was tested it was a perfect match for Maine. The operation was scheduled immediately as Maine's condition was getting worse everyday.

During the week of preparing for Maine's operation, Alden's wake was also taking place. All eyes were on Jason that time as Alden's friends didn't know about him as well. It was uncanny to see a replica of the person in the coffin, sitting in the corner, eyes red from crying. Jason kept to himself during the wake. He didn't interact with any of the guests who came to see Alden.

Mary Anne and Ted came to pay their respects as well. While preparing for the operation, Maine's nurse, Jenny - who also got a job at the hospital with Dr. Vega's help - volunteered to watch over Maine. It was only then, Jason stood and welcomed them.

After the pleasantries and the Mendozas offering their condolences, Jason asked, "how's Maine?"

"Her operation is scheduled tomorrow," Ted replied. "Dr. Vega is very optimistic about the results after the operation."

"Can I join you on that day?" Jason asked.

"Well..." Mary Anne looked at his parents for approval.

"Please," he looked at his parents with beseeching eyes. "I promise to be on my best behavior. It's just that, Maine would need a friend that day. I'm just there for moral support. Please!"

Rio looked at her son and sighed. She knew how hard it was for Jason ever since he lost his twin brother. Although they were separated, their closeness didn't waver. Jason was in pain, that much she knew. It was like losing a part of you. And it wasn't helping Jason one bit that people at the wake kept staring at him. Jason and Alden were identical twins after all. The only difference between them was that Alden wore glasses and Jason had a small scar in his right cheek, left when he had chickenpox years ago. Details that one would overlook if you didn't look close enough. But the resemblance was uncanny. And people can't help but stare. Maybe it would be good for Jason to be away from the wake for awhile. So she agreed.

So Jason was with the Mendozas during the scheduled operation for Maine's heart transplant. He kept his promise. He didn't make himself a burden on the Mendozas but was very helpful to them whenever they needed something. He ran errands for them and made sure that the couple were well taken care of as they were very worried about Maine's operation. It was a welcome relief for the Mendozas, as they were seeing bits of Alden with his twin.

The operation lasted for 6 hours. There was a nurse that was giving them regular updates on what was going on inside the operating room during the whole time Maine was inside. Finally, it was Dr. Vega who emerged from the double doors of the operating room.

"Mr. and Mrs. Mendoza. Jason," he said as all three of them stood when Dr. Vega approached them. "I am very happy to report that the operation was successful. Alden's heart has been successfully transferred to Maine. She's currently moved to recovery but we'll move her to her room as soon as we're done with the initial post-op care."

The Mendoza couple gave sighs of relief as they held each other in a tight brace. Jason was also relieved at the news. Maine will be alright. Alden made sure of that.

Dr. Vega approached Jason who was standing on the sidelines looking at the couple whom he could see were very relieved with the news.

"I never really got to give my condolences to your family, Jason," Dr. Vega said. "I am really sorry for you loss. It must be harder for you since you're twins. Alden was a great kid. For the short period that I've known him, Maine's comfort was his foremost concern. He would be happy to know that he was able to help Maine by providing his heart to her."