Chapter 71

The crowd enjoyed themselves immensely as Felipe and his band regaled them with music from their native tongue. The songs were upbeat that there were some couples and groups who stood from their seats and danced to the beat. Martin was one of them, dragging Sam and Abbie to stand and dance with him. Song after song they played and the crowd cheered them on. Maine noticed Richard was enjoying himself as well and was in synced with the band. He was in tandem with Tiyago, following his lead as back-up guitar, he played to his heart's content. His smile was bright and was contagious that Maine couldn't help but smile as well, clapping her hands to the beat of the music, her eyes focused on her RJ.

When the last song ended, Felipe let the claps and the cheers died down before he spoke to the crowd.

"For our last song for tonight," he started as he heard some of the audience groaned at the news. He waved his hands to appease the crowd and he continued, "we have a very special treat for you! My friend Jason has a special song he would like to play for his amada! And for everyone who is in love tonight! Let's put our hands together and give him moral support, shall we?"

The crowd cheered as Felipe stepped aside to give the spotlight to Richard. Richard faced the crowd with his head turned to Maine's direction.

"Maine," he said. "My muse. This is for you."

As he did in Milan, he started strumming the first few cords with the band following suit. Eyes locked on to Maine's, he started singing.

🎶Every time I see your face
My heart takes off on a high speed chase
Now don't be scared, it's only love
Baby, that we're falling in

I can't wait till tomorrow
This feeling has swallowed me whole
And know that I've lost control
This heart that I've followed
Has left me so hollow
That was then, this is now, yeah you have changed everything

Every time I see your face
My heart takes off on a high speed chase
Now don't be scared, it's only love
That we're falling in
I would never do you wrong
Or let you down or lead you on
Don't look down, it's only love
Baby, that we're falling in

I'm standing in your driveway
It's midnight and I'm sideways
I have to find out if you feel the same
Won't be easy, have my doubts too
But it's over, without you I'm just lost, incomplete
Yeah you feel like home, home to me

Every time I see your face
My heart takes off on a high speed chase
Now don't be scared, it's only love
That we're falling in
I would never do you wrong
Or let you down or lead you on
Don't look down, it's only love
Baby, that we're falling in

All those nights I stayed awake
Thinking of all the ways to make you mine
All of those smiles will never fade
Never run out of ways to blow my mind

Every time I see your face
My heart takes off on a high speed chase
Now don't be scared, it's only love
That we're falling in
I would never do you wrong
Or let you down or lead you on
Don't look down, it's only love
Baby, that we're falling in
Don't be scared, it's only love
Baby, that we're falling in...🎶

Althroughout the song, Maine couldn't take her eyes off Richard, as he was with her. His song was heartfelt and she knew he poured his feelings in that song. Her heart did its happy beat and she knew the words were also hers. That she was also feeling the exact same thing as he was. She was speechless and was overwhelmed by emotions that she felt tears fall in her eyes as Richard continued to play for her, like she was the only audience in the square.

As Richard kept singing, he kept his eyes focused on her. Every so often, he would close them to just feel the music. But most of the time, his eyes trained on Maine as he tried to let the message of the song reach her. He saw tears rolled down her cheeks and she kept her smile althroughout the song.

He ended the song amidst cheers and claps, even the band couldn't stop from cheering him on once the song finished. Felipe, nudged him and pointed at Maine's direction. Richard took a deep breath and let it out slowly. He gave the guitar back to Tiyago, and every member of the band gave him an encouraging pat either on the shoulder or on the back. The audience cheered as he slowly approached Maine, his eyes locked on hers.

Maine slowly stood as she wiped away her tears and walked towards him, meeting him halfway. Her heart thumped in her chest like it was shouting at her. She knew what it meant. She was finally ready.

It felt like they were walking in slow motion, an anticipation that was long overdue. The cheers of their team mates drowned out as they focused on each other. The audience, the crowd, their team and the band all melted away, and it was just the two of them, standing face to face in the square.

They smiled shyly at each other and Maine took another step closer. She reached out her arms around his neck as Richard placed his arms around her waist. Their eyes still locked on to each other. He saw her take a deep breath and let it out slowly, her eyes still looking up at him as she smiled timidly.

"Maine?" He asked, a look of concern on his face.

"I love you, RJ," she declared softly and reached up to capture his lips to hers in a kiss that would seal a promise.

Shocked at first that Maine initiated the kiss but Richard responded immediately, pulling her closer to him as he took control and deepen the kiss. As their time in Bavaria, the kiss was passionate as Richard explored her mouth, tasting every inch of her. He poured all his emotions into their kiss. Maine's fingers played with the hair on his nape as she savoured their kiss. Her heart was aflutter, continuing its happy beat as if it was celebrating.

Richard reluctantly ended the kiss, with a few more nips on her lips, realizing that they have the whole square for an audience. They heard clapping and cheers, with whistles blowing and hoots of encouragement. They looked at each other and smiled, Richard leaning once again to place a kiss on her forehead. He gave her a tight embrace and whispered to her ear, "oh, how you test my willpower, Maine."

"I've just officially became your girlfriend, RJ," she said with a laugh. "And still you're afraid I'll take away your innocence?"

"If you have learned anything from the kisses that we've shared," he retorted, his eyes filled with desire. "Is that I am anything but innocent. You don't know how much I want you, Maine."

His hand reached out to her face, his thumb caressing her cheek. He sighed and added, "but you're also too precious to me. I want you to enjoy every moment. You deserve everything and more. We don't need to rush things. I'll follow your pace, however long it takes. Right now, I'm just happy that my heart is finally back home."

Maine wasn't able to respond as both their teammates and Felipe's band converged on them, giving out their congratulations and teasing Richard. While all that was happening, Richard held her close in a tight embrace, his arms wrapped possessively around her waist, her back to his chest. She didn't mind as she took comfort in his embrace, as they laughed with their team and shared this moment with them. He was right, they didn't need to rush things. They have forever, and Alden's heart agreed. Her heart kept its happy beat, sharing her joy as the feeling of coming home settled in her.

-oo-

Author's Note:
Song disclaimer: Song used is entitled "Falling in" by Lifehouse from their album "Smoke and Mirrors" released in 2010.