Chapter 96

The seven year old kid was named Sean and he was a first time flyer. He was very excited when he first found out, but his initial excitement took a one eighty during take off, when his parents didn't inform him about the ear popping sensation when you increase altitude. He didn't like it one bit and that's when his first flying experience went downhill from there.

There wasn't much that you can do inside the plane except sit down and play the games offered by the plane's entertainment. His mother made him play for a time but he found it boring. He also watch some of the shows, but he already watched them and he wasn't allowed to sing along. So he asked his mom to switch seats with him so he could look out the window, but he was dismayed at what he saw. He'd had hoped that he could see the city below in miniature but all he could see were clouds. He was so disappointed with the plane ride that he started crying. It started out in sniffles until it became a full blown sob, his little body wracking hard as his parents tried to calm him down.

It was at that moment when Maine came over and checked the family. Sean's mother was apologizing profusely, as they were already getting glares from the other passengers. Maine kept her smile as she tried talking to Sean. In between sobs, he looked up to the person who was trying to talk to him, asking if he wanted a toy to pass the time. He shook his head but slowly his tears subsided, curious at the lady with a pleasant smile.

"How about drawing or coloring?" She asked. "Do you like to draw? I think we have crayons at the back that you can use. I bet you make some pretty nice pictures."

Sean just nodded and followed her movements when she said she'd get the stuff from the back. She returned immediately carrying a sketch pad and a box of crayons. She handed them to Sean's mother who set him up for the activity. Grateful eyes looked back at Maine as she kept her smile towards the harried parents. That was when Maine got the idea of asking permission to tour the kid in the cockpit.

While she was away, the little boy Sean wondered where she went. So he started asking his parents where the nice lady disappeared to. When he didn't get an answer from them, his eyes started to brim with tears once more. Raqz came to check on the family again to see if she can help out. But when Sean saw a different lady, he cried some more.

"Maine. Ma'am." Raqz greeted the new comers.

At the mention of her name, Sean stopped crying and saw her approached them. Behind her was a very tall and imposing man, but he smiled pleasantly the same way Maine and the other lady did.

"Hi Sean," Maine said. "We actually have a treat for you. Would you like to see the front of the plane? Martin here can take you to the front so you can meet our pilots."

"You're not coming?"

Before Maine could answer, Martin pulled her aside and whispered, "go ahead. I'll cover for you here. The child seem to trust you."

She nodded and turned back to Sean with a smile, "well, now I can. Shall we go? The pilots are very excited to meet you."

He looked at his mother to ask if he can go with her. His mother smiled and nodded, telling him to behave while he was there. His parents didn't join him, thinking that it was the best opportunity to relax while their son was away. So he reached out to take Maine's outstretched hands and led him to the front of the plane.

-oo-

"Best behavior guys," Richard said as he briefed his two co-pilots on their unexpected guest that was arriving in a few moments with Maine. "Let's do our best not to make him cry. All our passengers are stressed enough as it is."

Sam and Jerald both said their affirmative in time to hear the soft knock on the door and Maine's head poked from behind it. She asked if they were ready and then led the boy, Sean, inside the cockpit. The boy did not disappoint. His eyes were wide with amazement and there was a shout of "wow!" that came from his little body. Richard approached them and crouched down to his level and introduced himself and his two co-pilots. Maine was by the door, slowly inching her way to go outside when Sam stopped her.

"Stay awhile, Maine," he said. "This is your first time in the cockpit, right?"

Maine just nodded as she was looking around the small room in awe. She kept silent as she just observed their captain entertain the young boy who had so many questions. It was a tag team of Richard, Jerald and Sam as they answered question after question being asked by Sean. He looked around and pointed on some controls asking what it does. Maine also listened in as the three pilots explained simply how things work around the room.

Suddenly, Richard asked, "would you like to help me fly the plane, Sean?"

Sean screamed put a resounding "yes" while Maine noticed Richard gave Jerald a look. He discreetly nodded and was configuring something with the controls as Richard sat on his chair and had Sean sit on his lap. With Jerald in full control of the plane, they made it look like Sean was piloting, with Richard telling him what to do. Sean was happy and he was also excited to see the stars that dotted the sky with the clouds below them.

Eventually, Richard noticed Sean was already drooping and leaned back to finally fall asleep. Jerald took a sidelong glance and smiled fondly.

"Our little pilot fell asleep, Cap," Jerald said. "You'd make a great dad, Jase. I'm actually looking forward to the day you and Maine would have kids."

He looked back and smiled at Maine who was blushing at his statement.

"Not in the immediate future, Je," Richard whispered as he cradled the boy in his arms and adjusted his position with Sean's arm wrapped around his neck and his head was leaning on Richard's shoulder. "Someday. Definitely."

He slowly rose from his seat as he carried the boy in his arms. He said, "you guys can take your rest when I get back. Je, you have control in the meantime."

Maine went ahead and opened the door for them. She waited for Richard to come out and she led him to the boy's parents who were very relieved to see their son sleeping soundly.

Richard carefully handed Sean over to his dad who helped his wife in arranging their son so that he was comfortable in his sleep.

"We're really sorry for the trouble," Sean's dad said. "We didn't prepare him enough for this trip. I hope he wasn't a problem for you."

"He was no trouble," Richard replied. "He was very curious and was really excited. But he wasn't a problem."

"Still," he said. "Thank you for accommodating him."

"It was actually Miss Maine's idea," Richard said with pride. "She had a knack of knowing what your son needed."

Sean's dad turned and said, "thank you, ma'am!"

Maine smiled timidly and replied, "I was just doing my job, sir."

It was at that moment when Martin approached them and he said to Maine, "you need to rest up, Maine. Next service is in 6-hours."

Maine just nodded and then turned to Sean's dad, "is there anything else that you need, sir?"

He shook his head and replied, "you've done more than enough. Thank you. And thank you too, Captain. Not many pilots would have done what you did."

He shook Richard's hand and went back to his seat. Martin once again reminded Maine to rest up before he went back to the front. Richard escorted Maine at the back first before he himself went back to the cockpit. He drew the curtain for her and let her step in.

"You did great today, Maine," he whispered as the rest of the FAs were already taking their break.

"You guys did most of the work," she replied shyly, not looking into his eyes.

He reached out and held her chin up with his finger, "Sean immediately took a liking to you. He trusted you from the start. You made him at ease. That's something."

She just smiled as a reply. Richard moved his hand so he was holding her cheek, caressing it with his thumb. He smiled and leaned forward, kissing her cheek.

"Good night, Maine," he whispered.

"Good night, Captain," she smiled.

He drew the curtain back and turned, heading back to the cockpit. A small smile etched on his face.