Chapter 113

"You're cutting it pretty close, Captain," Jerald said as they entered the cockpit.

He saw Richard place Maine on the spare chair that Richard usually uses to rest in, placing a blanket on her and strapping her in. He could barely hear Maine mumbling a familiar tune but was too low for him to hear properly. Martin strapped himself on the seat usually for the reserve pilot. It would only mean that Sam had to go out to strap himself in for landing. Jerald was configuring the controls once more as one final glimpse let him see his Captain bent down to kiss his beloved on the temple and a soft whisper of "keep singing" before he turned towards him.

Sam already vacated the seat Richard would be occupying and headed outside to get strapped in.

"I've already made the necessary announcements and will now turn back full control over to you, Captain," Jerald reported while Richard strapped himself in.

"Belay that," replied Richard as he configured the controls once more. "You're still landing this plane. I'm just assisting."

"You're kidding, right?"

"Of course he's kidding," Martin chirped in from behind. "You are kidding. Right, Jase?"

"No. I'm not. Jerald's landing this plane."

"You're seriously giving me landing lessons right now?!?"

"It's the best time to give you landing lessons," Richard explained. "You're stressed and pressured. Your body's pumping adrenalin. Lives are at stake here. It's the perfect scenario."

"And how exactly is that a perfect scenario?" Jerald inquired as panic seeped into his voice. His knuckles were white from holding the yoke too tightly.

"If you can land the plane in these extreme conditions," replied Richard. "You'll be able to land anytime."

"Damn it, Jase!" Jerald said. "If this is you pulling a prank - "

"Do you really think I'd pull a stunt like that?" Richard interjected, his voice devoid of any emotion. "Knowing far too well that Maine's life is on the line. Do you really think I'd risk Maine's life for a joke?"

Jerald shot a quick glance at Maine who was still murmuring a song as she struggled to stay awake. He looked back at Richard who was looking at him seriously, as if daring him to make a retort.

"Oh you are so lucky I love Maine like a little sister!" Jerald exclaimed as he took a deep breath, letting it out slowly and shaking himself to release tension in his body. "Alright. Let's do this!"

-oo-

Ten minutes later, Jerald sat unmoving while Richard did the post flight protocols. Once he was done, he turned to Jerald and placed a hand on his bestfriend's shoulder. He gave it a reassuring squeeze.

"Congratulations, First Officer Usman," Richard said with a smile. "That was a perfect landing."

"I actually landed the plane unsupervised," muttered Jerald as it finally sunk in.

Richard just kept silent throughout the whole ordeal as he did all the checks and pre-landing protocols. He was distracted. Every so often Jerald would see him turn to check up on Maine and Martin, especially whenever the older man coaxed Maine to keep singing. Instinct finally took hold as years of lessons and training started flooding back to him, allowing him to land the plane without problems.

He was brought back from his momentary triumph when he heard Martin shout, "Maine! Wake up!"

Richard bolted off his chair and rushed over to Maine's side. Martin was shaking Maine but she was not responding.