Chapter 45

Maine woke up with a song that she didn't know stuck in her head. She looked about and realized that she was in a familiar room that she hadn't seen in almost 8 years. She was in Alden's room.

Maine noticed that the room was kept as is all these years. His half of the two way radio was still on the charger/stand that was plugged in a socket. His books were still stacked the same way as before, collecting dust on their shelf, except for a few Star Wars books that looked like it had been recently returned to their original position. His desktop was still there but no longer plugged in. Her Twilight book was still on his desk, completely forgotten through time.

She smiled and shook her head. She muttered happily, "I finally got my sleep over."

She left the bed and headed to the desk to pick up the book. That was where Richard saw her when he knocked softly and entered the room.

"Good morning," Richard greeted while holding two mugs of a hot beverage. "I'm glad you're awake. I brought you hot chocolate, but I added a fourth of a teaspoon of coffee in it."

Maine placed the book back on the desk, and reached for the mug.

"Thanks," she said and took a sip. "This taste almost the same as how I make mine. Could have used more coffee though."

"Sorry," he replied. "I don't really know how much caffeine is allowed for you to take. Especially with what happened last night. How are you feeling, by the way?"

"Better," replied Maine but she placed a hand on her chest. "My chest still feels a bit heavy but the palpitations are gone. And also the nausea."

She looked down and saw her book again. She reached out longingly, feeling the cover. Maine remembered when she lent the book to Alden on their first meeting. He was very reluctant to read it. She wondered how far he got.

"He never did get passed page three," Richard stated as if reading her mind. He was also looking at the book and was smiling at a memory.

Maine smiled and gave a short chuckle, "that's the first page of the first chapter. What is it with guys and Twilight that they don't seem to like it?"

"Two words, Maine," he replied, raising two fingers in front of her for emphasis. "Sparkling Vampires."

"Alden said the same thing before," she pouted. Then she looked at him and her eyes brighten. "Can I interest you in reading it?"

"Nope."

"Even if I say 'please'?"

Maine looked at Richard, batting her eyelashes and giving him the sweetest smile she could give. Richard laughed and looked away, taking a sip from his own mug to hide the blush that started to form. It also didn't help that she was wearing his clothes and he found it sexy. He remembered last night and how much he wanted to touch her creamy skin. He tried to still his heart and hide the blush from his face. He tried to think of something else.

"Please," she said again. "Humor me. I failed with Alden. Can't you give the book a chance?"

Richard looked at her, then at the book that was on Alden's desk and sighed. He just shook his head, still not looking at her, and said, "I'll think about it."

Maine smiled and took a drink from her mug. Richard noticed that she was looking around the room.

"After all these years," she muttered loudly. "I still couldn't figure out where he puts his guitar."

Richard choked on his drink when he heard Maine.

"Why are you looking for his guitar?"

Maine looked at him with her brows furrowed. She replied, "I had this strange dream last night. I heard a song that I have never heard before and it's currently on repeat in my head. I don't know. That dream made me think of Alden. He used to sing to me before."