Chapter 90

Richard finally freed himself from her arms and turned to see Maine sobbing. He reached out to wipe the tears from her eyes, her hands holding on to his wrists tightly as he did so.

"Hey," He asked softly. "Why are you crying?"

"Please don't leave me, Home," she whispered in between sobs.

"I was just stepping out," he explained. "I was going to come back."

"Please, don't leave!"

Richard sighed as he took her hand to his and led her back to their bed. They sat on the edge, but Maine immediately wrapped her arms around his waist, almost toppling them over. He wrapped his arms around her, his head resting on top of hers. He rubbed her back in an up and down motion to help her relax. She held on to him tighter.

"I love you, Richard Jason Faulkerson," she declared suddenly. "So so much. Please don't ever leave me."

"Maine - "

"I don't care what you did before," she said as she looked up to him to meet his eyes. "I don't care what happened in your past. I could really care less how many women you had before you met me. That was in your past.

"We're together now. And that's what's important. How we'll move forward together, that should be our concern more, right? You're my home. Where would I be without my Home?"

She buried her face on his chest once more and held him tighter. Richard sighed and held her to him as well. He was lost for words. He never expected her to hold him like this after what he just told her. He was even more astonished at how she reacted when he decided to step out. He thought that she would be more than glad that he would give her space, not fearing that he would not come back. He smiled inspite of himself and kissed the top of her head tenderly, letting her feel how much he loved her. But he knew that he had still hurt her, and that he didn't deserve her treatment of him.

They kept at that position for a few more minutes until he felt Maine stifled a yawn.

"Come on, Maine," he said. "Let's get you tucked in. I'm sure you're exhausted."

He assisted her as she laid down the bed before he went to his side and laid down on his side facing her. But Maine noticed that he left a space between them, unlike before that it came naturally for him to pull her close to him. She didn't like his hesitation. She didn't like this gap that he was making. She didn't like the space between them.

"Home..."

"Get some sleep, Maine," Richard said.

She scowled. She hasn't heard him call her by her petname since they've talked. And it started to frustrate her. She wanted to make things right again.

"Home?"

"Hmm?"

"You still love me, right?"

"Of course. That hasn't changed, Maine. I love you. No question about that."

She suddenly sat up and left the bed and went to her bag. She rummaged through the contents until she found what she was looking for. She returned to their bed and handed him the small box of the pills Dr. Vega prescribed for her.

From the light of the bedside lamp on his side of the bed, Richard read the inscription on the box and sat up quickly in shock.

"Maine - "

"I want you to know that I am thinking about it," Maine explained as she sat facing him, her hands once more playing with the hem of her shirt. "I want that kind of intimacy with you. Soon."