Chapter 64

"Guten morgen! Wilkommen in Frankfurt!"

Richard said over the radio after they've landed at the airport. He led the plane, with the assistance of Sam, towards the bay were their plane was assigned to park. He continued with his post landing announcements adding a bit of his opinion of what type of activities you can do with the current weather in the country.

"Is that what you're planning to do with Maine on our stay here?" Jerald teased from behind them. Sam snickered as Richard just rolled his eyes and shook his head. He knew that Jerald was just trying to ease the tension in the cockpit, especially after the ordeal that they had experienced during the whole flight.

"On behalf of my crazy co-pilots," Richard continued, ignoring them completely. "First Officer Jerald Usman and Lieutenant Sam Robles. As well as our amazing Cabin Crew headed by the beautiful Martin Croft and his lovely second-in-command, Ardee Lozada, this is Captain Richard Faulkerson wishing you a pleasant day ahead!"

"Really, Jase?" Jerald said after Richard turned off the comms. "Crazy co-pilots? You're a crazier captain! We went through a freakin' storm!"

"We went over and around a freakin' storm," Richard replied cooly. "I wouldn't make that kind of a decision if I know we won't be able to pass it safely."

"See these hands, Jase," Jerald retorted as he leaned forward to show how much his hands shook. "They haven't stopped shaking since we've increased altitude. I thought we were goners for sure."

"Ye of little faith, Je," Richard remarked as he safely rolled the plane to a stop. He then turned to face Jerald and added, "If I knew that we won't be able to brave the storm, we would have diverted. Besides, Maine is on this plane. I would risk everyone else, including myself. But not her. Never with her."

Jerald was about to make another retort but held his tongue. Richard was an ace pilot, that's why he went up the ranks really fast. His quick decision-making skills and intuition has helped him make right calls when it came to flying. But it still didn't stop Jerald from questioning him every so often. He was Richard's first officer after all. It was his job to question crazy decisions. But decisions involving Maine had him stop whatever retort he was going to make whether it was a joke or not. Ever since Maine came into their captain's life, he was different. Richard was more sure of himself and his risky decisions were more calculated now than before. He knew that Richard wouldn't risk Maine's life. She was that important to their captain. He sighed and just nodded.

"Some friend you are, Jase," Sam said as he hit Richard's arm playfully, making sure the latter knew he was teasing. "I guess we know who you're going to save if the plane did crash."

"As captain, I am the last one off the plane anyway," Richard smiled in reply. "But Maine would need to be on the first raft heading to safety."

"You would have to force her on that raft, Cap," Jerald added. "She's as stubborn as you sometimes."

Richard just shook his head and did their debrief while the ground crew ready the plane for disembarking.

-oo-

Maine read an iMessage from her phone and frowned at what she read. Richard texted her saying that he would just be staying in for the day and wouldn't join the group in sight-seeing.

The flight crew was already at their hotel and Martin said that they would go out for a bit of sight-seeing after the group have settled. They were in the hallway of their floor and the girls were gathered by the elevators on their way to the lobby, where Martin and the two male FAs were already.

Abbie noticed her frown and asked, "what's the matter, Maine?"

"RJ isn't coming," she replied, the frown still on her face.

"Yeah," Valeen confirmed from behind her. She was also holding out her phone. "So, are Jerald and Sam. Apparently, they weren't able to rest up in between flights, especially the captain since he had to pilot for the whole journey. Three turbulence and a storm. Jerald is bone tired. I can't imagine what Captain Jase would be feeling."

"Three turbulence and a storm?!?" Raqz exclaimed in disbelief. "We barely felt that."

"We did feel the turbulence," Anne remarked. "But I never would have thought that we braved a storm."

"Well," Valeen replied, a bit of pride in her voice. "We do have the best pilots on our team. Captain Jase has the best record of not ever diverting the flight plan. And Jerald has been his second-in-command far longer than I've known them. Sam is a decent navigator. In between the three of them, we shouldn't be worried. They wouldn't have taken such a risk if they couldn't pull it off. But it took its toll on our pilots. My poor baby could barely lift himself off the bed. What more the captain. He wasn't able to rest at all."

There was a worried look on Maine's face as she heard what Valeen said. There was a pang on her chest, as she turned her head in the general direction of Richard's room. Her heart pounded hard, like it was telling her something. She sighed and finally with a mind set, strode towards Richard's room.

"Maine!" Apple called. "Where are you going?"

"Apple," she called back. "Tell Martin I won't be joining today."