Chapter 84

"Something smells good in here."

Maine entered the Faulkerson kitchen with music from 30 Seconds To Mars playing on a small bluetooth speaker on the counter. She spotted Richard in front of the stove, a kitchen towel draped on one of his shoulder, tossing a handful of spaghetti noodles into a boiling pot of water. His back was turned to her as he turned off another burner where the sauce was cooking. He turned and took a timer from the counter and set it for ten minutes. He smiled at her then, as she took a seat on the stool opposite him.

"You're right on time," Richard said as he went around the counter to sit beside her. "Have you eaten lunch? I'm making spaghetti. Mom and Dad have a business trip so I have to fend for myself for a couple of days."

They've been home for two days already. The rest of their stay in the Bahamas was uneventful afterwards. From the time they joined the team in night swimming until the next day at the beach, Richard taught her how to swim. It wasn't hard as Maine knew how to propel herself because of the FA training that they've done with lifejackets. All she needed to do was learn how to float. And it was smooth sailing from there.

They arrived back in Manila in the evening, and they went to the General Assembly of their airlines the next day. It was announced that there will be three flight teams who would be used in the experiment: Richard's team that was hand picked by Martin, Marc's team who would continue with the team he had from the previous rotation, and a new team with majority of the members were fresh from local flights, which Ardee would be handling as the new Head FA. Operations for the other teams would resume the next day but the experimental teams would start five days later.

Marc was able to catch the couple on their way out of the assembly. He apologized profusely for his actions in the Bahamas and congratulated the couple immediately afterwards. Richard accepted the apology but still refused to let him touch Maine, even if it was just to shake her hand. Marc just shook his head and accepted his fate.

But when they went home after the GA, the couple haven't seen each other. Maine spent the rest of that day and the whole morning of the next day with her parents while Richard, being home alone, visited his brother and decided to be domestic by taking care of their laundry and did some ironing.

Maine stood up from the stool and sidled her way towards Richard who was seated on the stool beside hers. She wrapped her arms around him as he did her and leaned forward to plant a soft kiss on his lips. She said, "is that your world famous spaghetti and meatballs?"

"I wouldn't say 'world famous'," he replied with a smile. "But I am very proud of that recipe. I made the sauce from scratch."

"Real tomatoes?"

"Yup."

"I can't wait to try it!"

Before Richard could respond, something dinged from the background.

"That would be the garlic bread," Richard said as he reluctantly let go of Maine to check.

"You bake too?" Maine asked in astonishment.

"No," he chuckled. "There was still about half of a baguette left here. I just put butter, parshley and garlic powder, and toasted it. I do wish I could bake though."

"Maybe we can do that next time," she suggested.

"Bake?" He asked with his eyes brightened with the idea. "You can bake?"

"Yup," she replied shyly. "It's one of the few things I am actually good at in the kitchen."

"I can't wait for you to teach me then."

Maine observed him as he worked in the kitchen. He seemed used to working around the place and seemed to be enjoying himself. He took out a couple of sliced bread out of the oven and placed it on a small bread basket. When he was done there, the timer went off, indicating that the noodles were ready as well. He expertly drained the contents of the pot on a strainer and drenched the noodles with cold water to stop the noodles from overcooking.

While he was plating, Maine offered to set the table. By the time he brought the two plates of spaghetti and the bread basket on the table, Maine finished setting it up. They had a pleasant lunch, with light conversations and Maine commending his cooking. They updated each other with their activities when they were apart and made plans for future adventures together.

While they were having dessert of Rio's home made ice cream, Maine suddenly had a mischievous grin in her and asked, "tito and tita aren't home, right?"

Richard looked at Maine with an eyebrow raised in question. She had a mischievous look on her face and it usually meant that she was up to something. He cautiously nodded and asked, "what are you up to?"

For an answer, Maine left her chair and approached him. She sat on his lap and faced him, her hands were on his chest, playing with the button of his shirt. She bit her lower lip as if thinking on how to approach her request.

"My appointment's at four," she started, her eyes not looking at him but on the button she was playing with. "Plenty of time to do something fun."

"Fun?"

"It's a hot day," she smiled expectantly. "It's the best activity."

Richard's brows furrowed for a moment then shot up when he realized what she wanted. He said, "Heart, your appointment's at four."

"I just said that."

"The last time took us about two hours," he said as he raised his hand to caress her cheek. "And it's an hour's drive to the hospital."

"Please? We'll be quick," she insisted. "Besides, I know you can get us to the hospital in 45-minutes."

"I will get in serious trouble with your dad," he reasoned. "Remember the last time? Tito Ted all but chased me with an ax."

"I promise," she pleaded as she nuzzled her nose on his neck. "He sobered up since then. And we don't have an ax. Please, my Home? Please? You've been working too much. Take a break."

"We're heading to Puerto Galera tomorrow, Heart," Richard replied as he felt her trail soft kisses on his neck to his jawline. "I'll have plenty of time to relax."

"Just this once," she pressed on as she started tracing random circles on his chest. "Please, RJ. Please! We won't be able to get another chance like this again."

Richard sighed and closed his eyes. There was only one reason why she was like that. He mentally counted the weeks and muttered, "oh God! You're PMSing."

He wrapped his arms around her waist as Maine's arms crawled up around his neck, her delicate fingers playing on the hair of his his nape. She smiled her childish smile, that he had always found adorable and he sighed once more.

"Why could I never say 'no' to you?" He pulled her to him and kissed her temple, his lips lingering there while he inhaled her fruity scent.

"Because you know deep down," she replied with a sigh. "I make a lot of sense. And you could never break a promise."

"True," he said as he looked into her eyes. "Fine. You can prepare everything we'll be needing while I clean up in here. But if I get in trouble with Tito Ted again, Star Wars date night is cancelled."

"You drive a hard bargain, Faulkerson."

"It's the only card I have left, Mendoza."

"Fine," she relented. "I will try my best not to let Dad find us out."

"Try not," Richard said. "Do or do not. There is no try."

Maine giggled and kissed him on the tip of his nose before replying, "yes, Master Yoda."

"The waterguns are in the bike shed," he said as she helped her up. "They're just by the door. You can't miss it."

"Get ready to be drenched, Home."

"Oh Heart. Have you forgotten that I won the last time? It's game on!"