Chapter 19

•Riv's POV•

I swallow the lump in my throat and walk over to the desk, being careful not to trip on the boxes.

I look down at the journal with Ethan's name on it.

I wonder if this was his room? What even happened to him?

I slowly open the cover to see scribbles of black ink all over the first page.

Words I couldn't understand, Roman numerals, even a feather.

I continue looking trough it and see beautiful detailed drawings of, people.

This boy was very detailed and talented with art.

I pick it up and flip through all the pages before landing on a certain one.

It looked just like...

Me.

Was this really me? How is that possible?

I turn to the back of the page and read the words he wrote on it.

My heart sinks deep into my chest and my stomach drops.

It read:

River Rawlins, 2012

My thoughts immediately stop when a hand is slammed down on the journal, shutting it

I look up and see a furious Grayson standing above me.

"Gray, I-I'm sorry I w-was just..." I trailed off as he grabbed my wrist, pulling me out of the room.

I wince and smack his hand away then rub my wrist.

I see blood forming under the sweatshirt sleeve. Great, he made one of my scabs bleed.

"Grayson I need to go." I say walking downstairs. I didn't want him to see the blood, but I also didn't want to see him. He has some serious explaining to do.

"No Riv I'm not letting you go back to that, that, hell." he screams grabbing my wrist again, but this time, tighter.

"Gray, stop you're hurting me." I say trying to tug my arm out of his grasp.

He looks down and releases me but suddenly his face softens.

"Did I-I do that?" he stutters, pointing to the blood on the sweatshirt.

"No it's nothing." I say starting to walk back down the stairs.

But then I remember.

"Grayson..." I say, turning around.

"Yes?" he answers walking down towards me.

"I'm in his journal." I say getting a sinking feeling again.

"I know." he says looking down.

"How is it even possible? I've never met him in my entire life." I say.

"Riv, it's really hard to understand ok. You just need some sleep." he says trying to pull me back up the stairs.

"NO GRAYSON I WANT TO KNOW NOW!" I scream, hearing my voice echo through the house.

"I'm not going to tell you. You aren't ready. C'mon please River. You need sleep baby." he says.

I look at him the look down. Maybe I do need sleep.

Instead of going back up to his room, I walk the rest of the way downstairs and slump onto the couch.

Grayson walks back upstairs and I can hear him moving things around. Probably Ethan's stuff.

This is going to be a rough day.