Chapter 39

•Grayson's POV•

"Hey dad..." I say, walking over and hugging him.

I fake a smile.

"What's going on with you?" he asks, laughing a bit.

I look up at him and shake my head.

"Oh nothing, just feeling a little sick." I lie.

I was breaking into a sweat, for some reason I didn't want him to find Riv. I was nervous.

"So, how was your week alone Gray? Cameron came to visit I hope." my dad asks.

We sit down on the couch and I told him about my week, but never spoke of Riv. I had a knot in my stomach that made me feel like I was going to throw up.

"Grayson, are you ok? You look, pale." my dad states.

"I think I just need to lay down, but I'm glad you're home dad." I lie once again.

He nods as I walk up to Riv's room, shutting and locking the door. I turn around to see a confused Riv staring at me.

"Who was it?" she asks in a whisper.

I breathe out deeply and move past her to lay down on her bed. I cover my eyes with my arm and put my hand in my pants.

"Gray c'mon." Riv says, walking over next to me.

I don't uncover my eyes.

"It's no one important." I whisper.

I feel her shift uneasily on the carpeted floor. She was nervous. Almost as nervous as I was.

"Then, why don't I just go down there?" she says. I hear her walking over to the door.

I spring from her bed and run over to her, positioning myself in front of her so she is blocked from the door.

"Don't." I whisper, glaring down at her.

She backs away from me. I proved my point.

"He's back, isn't he?" she asks, shifting uneasily.

I let out a deep groan nod my head. Her face drains of color.

"W-well what am I supposed to do? Where am I gonna go?" she starts racing.

"Baby calm down it's gonna be ok, I'll figure something out." I say, trying to rub her arms.

"Don't touch me! I don't know what I'm gonna do!" she screams loudly.

A little too loud.

"GRAYSON?" I hear my dad yell from downstairs.

Fuck.

"Riv, you're going to have to face him anyway let's just get it over with ok?" I say, calming her down.

She looks at the floor, shaking her head violently. Just as she looks up the door handle begins to jiggle.

"Grayson? GRAYSON!" my dad yells from the other side of the door.

"UNLOCK THIS DOOR RIGHT NOW, WHO IS IN THERE WITH YOU?!" He begins pounding on the door.

Riv freezes, then starts shaking. Oh no, my poor baby.

"It's gonna be ok, don't think about it too strongly you're going to be alright." I assure her before walking over to the door.

I breathe out heavily, then unlock it.

The door swings open automatically with my dad bursting into the room.

He locks eyes with Riv. He sees her shaking. Tears are dripping down her cheeks.

He doesn't even notice the differences we made to Cam's room. Or even notice that we were in Cam's room.

I part my lips at the sight of her. She was doing better, but then...

"A girl? YOU WERE IN HERE ALONE WITH A GIRL??" my dad screams at me.

Our religion states that I am not aloud to have sex until marriage. But I refuse.

"You are going to hell." my dad huffs.

"No dad, let me explain. It's nothing what it looks like." I say, grabbing his arm.

"Then you better explain pretty damn well because from what I see, you're just turning into him." he spits.

I ball my fists at my sides, trying hard not to glock him in the face. I want NOTHING to do with him.

"She's my girlfriend. River. She has no where to stay and her dad is going to prison in a few days because of alcohol abuse. Her mom died years ago because of an overdose and has no one now. But I'm here for her. You just expect me to leave her on the streets? I wasn't having sex with her, dad! The last thing I want to do is hurt her!" I yell at him, not looking at Riv at all.

His expression changes to sadness quickly. He looks over at Riv.

"I am, so sorry..." he says.

"River? Is it?" he asks, walking over to her.

She nods.

"You can stay here as long as you need to. Make yourself at home." he says, smiling at her.

"Actually dad," I trail off, scratching the back of my neck.

He looks back at me.

"We need to adopt her."

Silence.

Silence.

Silence.

"No."