Chapter 21

•Riv's POV•

I woke up to the sound of someone stomping around in the house. I don't think I was out for very long.

I look at the clock and it read:

4:32

It's been 45 minutes.

I groan and lift myself off the couch, placing my feet on the warm carpet.

I didn't want to be nosy again because I knew what would happen.

Should I just go back to sleep? Or should I go home? I do need some of my own clothes.

I silently walk over to the door and put my shoes on, being as quiet as I can. I had no idea where Grayson was.

I open the door quietly and step out into the fresh autumn air.

I walked down the sidewalk, enjoying my little walk before having to face my dad.

I dreadfully reach my house and walk up to the door, turning the nob and stepping in.

Then I remember it all.

Seeing the dry blood on the floor where I was laying when my dad hit me. My dad getting furious at me and blaming me for everything. Grayson trying to stop him.

I clutch onto the table by the entrance and hold in my screams.

Everything flooded back into my head too quickly and my head started to pound.

"River! Oh my god you're ok!" I hear a voice call out.

I look up and come in contact with, my dad. Is he actually, sober?

"Dad?" I say, walking closer to him.

He notices my head and places his hand over it gently. I wince.

"I'm so sorry." he says, engulfing me in a hug.

For once, he didn't smell like alcohol. He actually smelled, presentable.

I couldn't hold it in anymore and I began to cry into his chest. He squeezed me tighter.

After our short moment together, I let go and wiped my eyes.

"River, I-I found your, blades..." he said, trailing off.

I stomach dropped.

"Dad, those, they umm, they-" He cut me off.

"It's my fault. I always blamed everything on you. I never payed attention to you. I just, I hate myself for what I did. I want to change that. So that's why I..." He looked away, wiping a tear off his cheek.

"I turned myself in." he murmured.

I whimpered.

My only family left, now gone.

"Dad, I, what am I, what am I gonna do without you?" I whispered.

He looked down at me and smiled.

"Well, you can live with Aunt Jenn?" he said smiling.

Aunt Jenn was a close friend with my mom and was always an aunt figure to me.

The only problem was, she lives in Seattle.

"Dad, I would love to but, I want you here. I want you to be my dad. I want you to get better." I said, wrapping my fingers around his hand.

"No, no River I'm going to hurt you. I'm dangerous. I'm not getting out for 4 years. I won't be around anymore. " he said throwing his hand out of mine.

I hesitated and looked down.

"Well, I have an idea..."