thirteen ; mad-eye moody

a/n: published november 21, 2016.

lol, still rushing.

Among the Slytherins, Darcy felt like a new student. She had never seen the sorting hat sort in public, and didn't realize how the place seemed to be much gloomier. Her sleepy eyes trailed a first year boy walking towards her table, sitting right across from the year five prefect girl.

Most people in the entire Great Hall noticed how alone Darcy was with the chatty Slytherins. Harry, of them all, saw how her eyes were lazily gazing at the sorting hat with such distrust. He wondered why the hat actually did sort her in Slytherin. Darcy was a kind girl, very loyal like her aunt. She stood her ground, dealt with unkind words last years because of her muteness.

It struck Harry that Darcy hadn't spoken a single word since they reached Hogwarts. Even in their departure to sit at the different tables, Darcy walked away with a more indifferent look. He wondered if maybe Darcy didn't want the bulk of Hogwarts to know she can now speak. She even wore a scarf to hide the very same jewel that equalizes her vocals.

"Well, now that we're all settled in and sorted," Albus Dumbledore said. "I'd like to make an announcement." When the Great Hall situated itself, he continued. "This castle will not only be your home this year, but home to some very special guests. So Hogwarts has been chosen to host the Triwizard Tournament!"

Darcy's eyes shot up from picking her food (she noticed that Ophelia was not there yet), and Harry diverted his attention away from her. Albus was waiting again for the curious whispering to stop.

"For those of you who do not know, the Triwizard Tournament brings three schools together for a series of magical contests. From each school..."

And from there on, Darcy was no longer interested. She saw Harry's face, flushed from eating, focusing on Dumbledore. He thought he was being inconspicuous while staring, but she felt his intense eyes on her.

Her bored eyes then followed the Slytherin's as they stood. Everyone was objecting the age limit being seventeen. Her mouth pursed, thinking about the undesirably dangerous tasks that would await. Darcy agreed with the rules.

When the Hall was excused for the evening, Darcy followed her house mates down towards the dungeons. She felt exceptionally murderous, wanting to stab every sniggering remark thrown at muggle-borns. She'd been hearing the supposed insults more and more often within the common rooms.

The next morning, Darcy settled herself in her bed to get up, ignoring Viola Richmond, the Carrow twins, and Gemma Fawley and Tracey Davis. None of them were particularly bad. Out of all of them, Tracey was more quite than the others when it came to in-dorm speaking.

Except, it seemed this year that Darcy noticed how much her dorm mates noticed her presence.

"Hey, Darcy?" said Gemma Fawley. She had extremely curly hair, with the complementary dark and smooth skin. She was short, and the color of the Slytherin robes seemed less compatible with her. From first sight, Gemma's kind face could've mistaken anyone that she was Hufflepuff.

At first, Darcy didn't even reply. She thought that it was hre mind playing tricks, that her loneliness in the house was getting to her.

"Darcy?" Gemma asked again, and this time Darcy whipped around to see the girl fully from her bed.

Not sure if she should speak, Darcy jumped off her bed and gave a "hymn" in response.