forty-seven ; the stories hands tell

Darcy would say she was lucky to have an ally in Snape. He had managed to talk Umbridge down to that since he had lessons with her. A half-truth, since Darcy did have lessons--just not on the weekends.

"At least you handled yourself better than Potter," Snape remarked after he got into her head and saw the situation in Defense class. She had failed to block him--but had managed to shove him out.

"He handled it justly," Darcy said quietly. Snape made no comment, and that was fine.

After the lesson, she went straight to dinner in the Great Hall, knowing that Harry would get the beef of all the talk. She saw Harry sitting between Ron and Hermione, and was reassured that he was doing fine.

She'd guessed that perhaps Harry wasn't in the mood this morning to speak to her--and really, she couldn't ever be mad at Harry. Not when shit like this always rolled on him and he had to sit there and let it.

Her feet took her away from him, and to her two friends.

"I'd say today is the first of many, many shit days," she declared as she took a seat across Gemma an sat next to Theo.

Gemma glanced up from her plate of food and smiled. "I would have to agree--but when have we never had them?"

"Rightly so--but the old toad's gonna give those days a run for their money," said Theo.

"So, how did Snape take it?" Gemma asked. "The outburst with Umbridge?"

"I managed to get Friday detention. Harry and I've got it the same day, but different times, so that sucks."

Theo creased his eyebrows. "Did she tell you what you were going to do?"

Darcy shrugged as she dumped food onto her plate. "Who knows? I'm in it for the surprise."

"I thought the summer was bad," mumbled Gemma, looking sneakily at Theo.

"Like Darce said," Theo said with a cheeky smile towards Darcy, "it's the first of many shit days for us three."

"Maybe she'll torture me with her talk," snorted Darcy, piling honey on top of her biscuit and then shoving it down her mouth. "

"Friday you said?" Theo asked, his eyes roaming anywhere but her. "Maybe Gem and I can swing by and we can go to the Quidditch field after. I heard the Slytherin team was heading there for a little meeting."

"You're going?" Darcy said with surprise. That would likely put Theo in a position he normally doesn't like: to meet new people. Heck, he straight out had trouble getting used to her. But also, she had no idea that Theo was into Quidditch, and to be honest, now she realized she didn't even know what he liked... She really hadn't gotten to know him now that she thought about it.

Theo, being the wondrous, crystal-eyed beau he sometimes is, threw her a wide smile.

Before he could say anything, a loud commotion stopped the three from talking to each other. At the front end of the Slytherin table, Malfoy and those two other idiots that Darcy didn't care to think of had begun poking fun at one boy--the same red-head boy.

"Aye, look at this little brat," Malfoy snickered, his posture tall as he leaned over the table and pointed a finger at the boy. "His face is getting redder than his hair!"

The first year from last night with the bright red hair, who was still apparently alone and had not found any close friends, sat there with scared eyes, looking at the two assholes sandwiching him.

"He's a small loner, aren't you, Abberly?"

Darcy snapped her body upwards, and stomped her way to Malfoy before this could get out of hand.