thirty-seven ; welcome to hell

a/n: unedited. published 1/2/17

The day that followed, Harry and his cousin were attacked by two dementors.

The two order members, Remus and Ophelia, weren't anywhere in the vicinity of Little Whinging when the events occurred. It wasn't their shift to watch over Harry Potter, but this little situation didn't mean they wouldn't check on who actually was on shift.

Right after Remus had taken Darcy back to his house, Ophelia was the one to caution Mundungus Fletcher. Of course, there was a ten-minute conversation about what his orders are, and where he is to be. No matter how "boring and unexciting the boy is".

So, this of course lead to Ophelia chiding the crook to not be tempted to anything but Harry Potter. Ophelia even went to have tea with Mrs. Figg, and talk about how fucking horrid Mundungus Fletcher was for this job.

But of course! The day after Ophelia leaves, there goes Mundungus, off to buy stupid cauldrons.

Leaving Ophelia guilt-ridden to not have the conscious to take the shift then.

The Order of the Phoenix was an army that was made in Voldemort's first reign by Dumbledore. There were strict restrictions as to who could be in the Order, and who could know.

Darcy and Harry were on top of that list of people who couldn't know.

Ophelia, at first, did not understand why Darcy and Harry couldn't stay at Grimmauld Place. What was the harm? But, as Sirius and Remus and plenty of other members of the Order, Dumbledore had his reasons.

Remus unsubscribed to the Daily Prophet, because it was all just nonsense against Harry and Dumbledore and denying Voldemort's return. Everyone, including Hermione, Ron, Ginny and the twins, weren't allowed to spill anything about the Order to Darcy and Harry.

"Why can't they know?" said Ginny one time during a dinner. "Harry's gone through far more than maybe anyone in the order and face You-Know-Who. I really don't get why Darcy can't know either—unless you guys don't trust her because she's Slytherin!"

"No," said Ophelia immediately. "It's not because she's in Slytherin."

To which, right after, Mrs. Weasley had answered that "Dumbledore has his reasons—and I trust that what he's doing is right."

There was the sentence—or was it a phrase now? It seemed that "Dumbledore had his reasons" was a jurisdiction to claim that there is no need to question what he does. And this...this was frankly the most disturbing and honest thing she's heard. Dumbledore was right most of the time...

Instead of Ophelia being there to pick up Harry at Whinging, Remus was sent there instead. She stayed here, thinking what to do now...to break Dumbledore's rules...take Darcy to the order...to the awful place she grew up in...

What was Ophelia to do now when she stood three feet away from her niece sitting on the couch, who has no idea—

Darcy's hand dropped the book and it clashed to the floor. Her hands went up to clutch her chest and stared amidst to nothing. It was the same dopey face that she made at the Triwizard Tournament, a look that only meant that Darcy was in someone's mind.

Quickly to her side, Ophelia said, "Darcy, you have to get out. You have to get out of their mind."

Darcy's wistful eyes were cleared suddenly. She still stared at the ceiling.