twenty-five ; yule ball

a/n: okie, no joke this a super long asf chapter. [3980 words!!!]

unedited. published 12/19/16

Gemma was waiting in the common room, dressed in a Christmas sweater and a thick coat. She saw the slumping body of Darcy come through the entrance of the Slytherin common room with a sack on her back.

"Hey there," Gemma said as she saw the sack, "Santa."

Darcy rolled her eyes, but there was a smile in her face. "I'll meet you down her in a few minutes -gotta change!"

. . .

The two girls sat around, snacking on the candies Lupin had given her and talked about everyone in the Slytherin house. It was packed in the common room, but it was also loud.

"So, Pansy and Malfoy?" asked Darcy, still tugging on a sweater and the same colorful windbreaker she wore at the World cup over her t-shirt.

Gemma scoffed. "I bet all the decent girls in this house were taken so he had to ask Parkinson," she said.

A little surprised that Gemma also had a disliking to Malfoy, Darcy regained herself and smiled.

"Well, I heard from Ron that Tracey's going with Theodore Nott," Darcy said, looking around and spotting Nott sit with Zambini. "Funny, really -I saw him last Christmas break, alone. Never really struck me as the type to be around a group like Malfoy's."

"Well, he isn't," said Gemma, her eyes darting to the same boy. "He's just -like you said, alone. His dad was a Death Eater in You-Know-Who's first terror. He just wants to be different."

Raising her eybrows, Darcy turned over to Gemma. "Shocking," she said dully, and stuffed another spicy wing in her mouth. "How do you know? That he isn't like the others? Have you stalked him?"

"We used to be friends," Gemma brushed off. "It's almost lunch -and no! I don't stalk him."

Darcy nodded, her eyes twinkling with knowing. "I'm kidding -by the way, just so you know, Nott doesn't really like Tracey. Only asked her to please his father - and that's as far as I'll look, Gemma."

And that was the deal. Darcy had admitted to taking after school classes with Snape -something that Gemma was smart enough to notice. So, in return for going to the Yule Ball with Ron, Gemma asked in return that Darcy would find out about Theodore's well-being.

It was something that Darcy was warned not to do -to look though a students mind. But, Darcy told herself that it wasn't breaking the law. Gemma just wanted to know how Theodore was doing.

"Oh," Gemma said, her voice small with hope. "Thank you, Darcy. He just isn't talking to me anymore...so I got a little worried."

Tightly, Darcy smiled.

. . .

After a quick lunch with Gemma, Darcy excused herself to go to the snow on the grounds.

Sitting on a bench under a snow-covered tree, Hermione was watching the boys throw snow balls. Darcy sat next to her, smiling.

"Not going to join?" said Darcy, her eyes following the Weasley's. Ginny and Fred had teamed against George, Harry and Ron.

Hermione shook her head. "No. My hair get's really bushy when I shower."

Waving a hand, Darcy collected a bunch of snowballs to her command and sat them on the ground beside her.

"You sure you don't want to through just one?"