fifteen ; alone

The next day, all Hogwarts students gathered around at dinner time and waited for the Goblet of Fire to choose its three champions. The hall was busy with whispered voices, all excited to know who was chosen. The Durmstrang students were stoic, conversing very quietly among their own, as did the Beaxbaton students.

Harry sat between Hermione and Ron, also joining in on the buzz of the champions. All Hogwarts houses were cheering for their own houses. Slytherin was hoping to get Denis De Fence as the champion, Cedric Diggory for Hufflepuff, Paxton O'winston for Ravenclaw, and Angelina Johnson for Gryffindor. (Fred and George were hellbent in Angelina, since their aging position backfire on them and gave the twins matching beards).

Harry had spotted Darcy's lone body at the entrance of the hall, her Slytherin scarf wrapped around her neck. It gave Harry an odd feeling when she wore the green scarf, oddly reminding him of Draco Malfoy. The girl soon spotted the trio and made her way there.

With a huge huff, a very large book in Darcy's arms, she sat a seat down from Hermione.

"I found the second volume!" Darcy excitedly whispered to Hermione, dragging Harry and Ron's to the two.

Darcy held out that giant book that could fit two hand widths. Hermione stared at the book in her hand in shock.

"You did?" Hernione said, reaching over to touch the thick leather binding.

Ron glared at the two with immense disapproval.

"The bloody goblet going to chose it champions," Ron said, "and you're obsessing over a book about--about Advanced Defense Against Curses?"

Harry's eyebrows shot up, impressed. "Are you practicing to be an Auror?" He said, slipping down to the seat next to Darcy.

Darcy slipped him a sly grin. "Maybe," she said, shoving his shoulder with hers. "I was thinking about my curse, and I don't want anyone to experience that."

Harry peered over her shoulder and nodded. "That's very kind," he acknowledged. "So you outgrew the Reverse Curses book?"

Maybe for a split second, Darcy's mouth turned downwards, but she recovered it and nodded vigorously.

"Oh, yeah," she cleared her throat. "Still near and dear to my heart, though."

Harry wanted to say more, but the sound of the bell tolling had drawn everyone's attention to the headmasters that stood at the center of the hall. Dumbledore stood nearest to the Goblet of Fire.

"Now is the moment you have all been waiting for," said Dumbledore loudly, "the Champion selection." He waved his hand across the hall, the lights dimming as they were dimmed dramatically.

"Interesting," mumbled Darcy to Harry, whom was squirming around to get a better look.

The Goblet's blue fire was illuminating the entire hall. The shadows cast a gloomy glow around everyone's face. Dumbledore waits for the fire, his hand reached out as if...

The blue fire that once was ablaze on the goblet had turned a bright red. From it, a piece of parchment had flown into the hands of Dumbledore.

"The Durmstrang champion is," Dumbledore annouced, "VIKTOR KRUM!" 

The entire hall had erupted with cheers. Ron, from behind Harry and Darcy jumped up with excitement. Applause died down when Krum had shook Dumbledore's hand and disappeared to a chamber.