forty ; letters

a/n: hey guys! it's been a real long time since I last posted. I've just finished my finals last week, and I was really studying hard for those. BUT, i failed majority of my finals (i.e. bio, english maybe and french) i've also been trying to get into track and since my school doesn't have sports, i have to get district permission and shit like that to go to another school for sports. i also went to disney land yesterday? it was kind of a spur-of the moment thing.

nonetheless, here is chapter forty!

published 1/29/17

Like the past week staying at Twelve Grimmauld, Darcy woke on the morning of Harry's hearing at six. The two have not been speaking as much as they have before, since Harry was always swept away by her father, and she was very confused and sad ever since Ophelia showed her the memories of Anna-Marie.

There were piles of papers that Ophelia handed Darcy last night, just before the adults left. Darcy etched to read them, but today was an important day. She could still see the neat writing on a letter from Roland Abberly, a Ravenclaw boy in her year, and was deathly curious to read it. Then, there were a few letters from Gemma—and even more shocking, Theodore Nott.

Swinging the Ireland Quidditch hoodie over her head, Darcy headed out of the lonesome and room she stayed in. Throwing one last glance at the stack of letters, she went down to breakfast. She could hear the soft voices of the other side of the kitchen.

There was Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, Sirius, Remus, Ophelia, Tonks, Harry, and—surprisingly—Jani Scamander. All of them were dressed, except for Mrs. Weasley.

"Morning," said Darcy, her voice both groggy but cheerful.

Sirius patted a seat next to him, and Darcy was happily surprised. She sat down, across from Harry as he dully ate his toast.

"Morning, Darce," said Sirius, squeezing Darcy's hand in kind gesture. "Have a nice sleep?"

Darcy's mood upped a little. She nodded enthusiastically and responded with a yes. She glanced over at the quiet, slumping figure of Harry and was about to greet him, but Remus said:

"What were you saying about Scrimgeour?"

Tonk's tired eyes drooped up to look at him. "Oh...yeah...well, we need to be a bit more careful, he's been asking Kingsley and me funny questions..."

Ophelia glanced worryingly at her cousin.

"You're awfully tired, Tonks," she said. "Maybe you should take a rest."

"Right you are, auntie," Tonks mumbled with a limp smile. "I'll have to tell Dumbledore I can't do night duty tomorrow, I'm just t-t-too tired."

"I'll cover for you," said Mr. Weasley. When Ophelia was about to press, he added, "I'm okay, I've got a report to finish anyway..."

Darcy swung her eyes over to Harry. She smiled meekly.

"You look like you're having a mid-life crisis," she teased, poking her fork of potatoes towards him.

Harry took his gaze away from the half-eaten toast in his hands and to her. His lips were thinly spread onto a smile.

"Sure am," he said monotonous.

"It'll all be over soon," Mr. Weasley said bracingly. "In a few hours' time you'll be cleared."

Harry said nothing.